C.E.C. TL51XR upgrade

Greetings to everyone!
Own this C.E.C. TL51XR cd player is about 2 years and now I decided to make major changes! I was inspired by this for upgrade digital modules: cectl51x

I started with the power module. Here I replaced all regulators with Newclassd UWB DX78XX/79XX regulators.
Photos before changes.

Attachments

• DSC01786.JPG
    DSC01786.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 809
  • DSC01789.JPG
    DSC01789.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 732
Of course, I plan to change and electrolytic capacitors with Elna Silmic, Nichicon or BlackGate but it is very difficult to find the right size, I mean diameter!
I preferred to do bypas with 0,1uF/160V VISHAY-RODERSTEIN MKP-1837 Metalized Polypropylene Film Capacitor.

Changes will continue to DAC board!
If you look closely you will see that is assembled very careless!
I even discovered some components (some blue bypas capacitors) that were not soldered!!!
Was assembled in the garage!!!? Big surprise is that it worked!

Attachments

• IMGP3966.JPG
    IMGP3966.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 306
  • IMGP3967.JPG
    IMGP3967.JPG
    252.9 KB · Views: 286
  • IMGP3968.JPG
    IMGP3968.JPG
    296.5 KB · Views: 287
Here I replaced all Chang electrolytic capacitors with Nichicon on PSU, OS-CON on digital and Elna on analog sections. And of course two UWB regulators +5V, +3,3V found their place!
Instead 4 X 3,3 uF blue polypropylene on balanced output I put 4 X 3,3uF OIMP V-CAP bypassed with 0,01uF/160V VISHAY-RODERSTEIN MKP-1837 Metalized Polypropylene Film Capacitor.
Oil Impregnated Metalized Polypropylene Audio capacitors by V-Cap

Attachments

• IMGP3971.jpg
    IMGP3971.jpg
    777.4 KB · Views: 249
  • IMGP3970.JPG
    IMGP3970.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 271
  • IMGP3969.JPG
    IMGP3969.JPG
    230.2 KB · Views: 302
To note is that after each stage of changes I did auditions. Each time the sound was different, increasingly better and now I can say I'm happy!
Now I think this C.E.C. TL51XR CD player is indeed Hi-end, can keep up with reference CD transport/player! Investment and effort are well worth!

really nice work hotzman :) after see this tread and your upgrade i desided to give it a try to my cec 51 xr player as well, im very new to diy but following this tread it does it possible for me to try , i have yet only begin with the digital board but i feel important changes already :) it seems not so professional as your art but it reaaly seems to work thanks for the inspiration
best regards

now these days im working on the main power supply board,
i have read some places that the nichicon fine golds isnt a good choice for being used in power supplies , i can aclaim that i feel some people have right there, i tried the nichicon fine golds on power section and feel they favors the bass region and give a coat/ layer on the rest of the register so the midrange dosent get the glow it deserve and miss also some speed and insight, i feel the nichicon is to to polite in its character at least in power supply use,sound good but to polite to me hard to get the best balancing act between speed insight and musicality without beeing listening fatiguing:)

for the main power board i have now ordered
2x 3300uf 16v black gate std nos
4x 1000uf 25v black gate std nos
would try to get 4x 2200uf 35v black gate f nos
and 2x small 100uf 25v black gate f nos
for the small capacitors the sixpack i got elna silmic ars nos 47uf 63v if the voltrange isnt near 63v but more little under 50v maybe replace by some black gate later maybe
for the inline small fourpack i got 2x 47uf 50v black gate n/non polar instead of original 25v
1x 1uf 50v black gate n and 1x 33uf 50v black gate std instead of 22uf original

i also ordered the dexa uwb regulators/transistors for the whole main power supplies include 1x for the main digital /servo board
1x DEXA DX7924 -24V
1x DEXA DX7808 +8V for the didital main / servo board
1x DEXA DX7905 -5V
2x DEXA DX7805 +5.0V

dont know what i would do after this ,maybe change some diodes and so to, would se what these upgrade would bring out first :)
hope its fine ive post this
the honour should be given to hotzman for this , for inspiring and giving us this thread :)

best regards

Last edited:
hi cool that you show up hotzman :)so you still have your cec tl 51xr :) nice
ive unluckily i get fault on my reader as when i shift to next song sometimes with the remote if i let the cd just spins it works fine, do you know a way i can fix so the reader will be normal working again ? i maybe think it was one of the trick with the 1 of 2 extra oscons on the servo board that is the case, other than that i find it strange but when i used multimeter on the chip on power supply it was then the reader get back to 0 on the cd reading , i find that strange, but im new to this so :)
other than this the cec sound already better than the sony scd 777 i sold 2 weeks ago :)
on the loudspeaker part i have sonus faber cremona auditor m but im found them not defend their price at all when it come to the sound , and they are very picky about matching so try selling them :)
maybe try some diy kit or go for some good old simple studio monitors :) i definitely find out that it is no way to sound nirvana without some diy too :) so would try my best on this part
back to cec do you done even more on your cec tl 51xr player in the later years ? :D
best regards ivan

Last edited: