Tubing Arcam Delta Black Box 3 for fun?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an old BB3 laying around and started thinking about doing some mods to it. Maybe it can get a bit better, I sure hope so.

Started reading up on it, got hold of the service manual and quickly discovered that it was a bit too new to have the d/a chip that I really was hoping for, the classic 1541A.

Nope, this beast has dual bitstream dacs, one handling the "left+" and "left-" -signals and the other dac does the same for the right channel.
The signal then passes through no less than five caps to get rid of the noise, and then goes to diffrential amplifiers (lm627) to make the signal single ended. Phew!

If I am going to be mad enough to try to convert it to a tube output stage, where on earth would be the best place to steal the signal? I am guessing after the lm627.

This may be a good moment to laugh, as I am a beginner, but eager to know more.

Maybe just easier to get an older cd to experiment on. But, the BB3 is "free" since I already got it, and there is sufficient room in the box to fit more stuff in it, so why not give it a try.

Thanks for the input! Today I located a place closer to the chips where I can steal the signal. The place where I intended to take the signal in the first place seems like a bad idea, the signal was already amplified a lot there.
Where can I find a schematic? I am a beginner, but I do know how to follow a schematic.

They are SAA7321GP. I have located the outputs (two per chip), called INTL and INTR.
Any ideas if it matters which ones I go for? I guess it doesnt really matter as long as I use the same output from both chips so that they dont get out of phase.
Where can I find out if it is a voltage output or current output?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.