Dolby digital to PCM converter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have this problem:

My TV has a OPTICAL DIGITAL OUTPUT that outputs PCM signal OR Dolby digital signal depending of the TV channel.

My HARMAN KARDON HK990 STEREO AMP has digital inputs that ONLY accept PCM

I need to put a module between them that convert DD to PCM and bypass PCM

I am not able to find this module ¿is there any in the market?

Good topic. But I would formulate the question more generally:
How do I get from any multi-channel digital signal a high-quality two-channel down-mix (of interest for all user's, that have a lot of multichannel discs but no space in the listening room for a multichannel equipment (i. e. only two loudspeakers for stereo) ?
Fact is, a lot of Blu Ray discs don't offer selection for two channel mode resp. only in bad quality.

The DD signal is usually surround signal. You need a surround receiver, maybe is time to upgrade.

There are modules that will DECODE the DD to analog signal, but I am not aware of one that will do a correct REMAPING from 5.1 to 2.0...
I don't understand this term:
"REMAPING"

Last edited:
Well... with Dolby Digital you have 5 audio channels plus 1 for Low Frequency Effects.
He wants to send those into a stereo amplifyer (2 audio channels). He can choose to send just the L and R channels, but he will miss the voice (Center) and effects/music (SR, SL).
He can add the SR to R and SL to L (but that will increase the level too much). And the Center channel needs a different treatment.
That's why you need to remap the channels. Present continuous would be "remapping" if you are grammar police.

Last edited:
And it's a bargain at $129?!!! For that money you can easily find a used 5.1 Dolby Digital receiver, or you're half-way to a reasonable HDMI receiver that'll do TrueHD and Master Audio. I've seen Dolby Digital receivers for as little as $20 at thrift stores here in the frozen Canadian wastelands of Vancouver Island. Spain may be different.

Alternatively... doesn't the TV have line outputs?

I have this problem to, BUT, I need a device that converts DD to PCM multichannel 5.1. The reason is that I need to fetch the Front L/R and the Center channel into a computer for DSP, which in short is as follows:

1. Downmix the center channel and split on L and R. This is because my Denon surround receiver will NOT output a downmixed Center channel to its SPDIF output, ONLY to its analog Pre out.
2. I am doing SoundPimp.com DSP on the Front and Left channels only (after the downmix of the centerchannel). SoundPimp removes acoustic crosstalk in the acoustic domain between speakers and ears, this crosstalk being one main reason for having a center channel!

Why all this? Because I have high-end speaker and stereo system that takes care of the front L/R part of the system, and a center channel activated would mean I would need to purchase a corresponding high-end gear for that channel, else there is reduction in sound quality since my Denon surround receiver is no where near producing the same high-end quality.

Thanks for any advice on a particular device that can translate DD to multichannel 5.1 PCM.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.