Burning cd's for older players? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2011, 08:16 PM   #1
ozzyscl is offline ozzyscl  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Burning cd's for older players?

Hello guys, I just received a Sony CDP-555ESD (what a beast!)
after spending some good 10 minutes looking at it, I decided give it a try. It reads original cd's without problems, as soon as a cd is inserted, it takes about 2 seconds to be read and then about .5 to read the track (jumping from track 1 to 7 on a 15 track cd takes about the same time).

However I tried with my back up cd's and couldn't read them, I have several until I found one that worked... I ended up with about 6 that work (out of I would say 50).
I always burn at low speeds using Nero, as audio cd at 4x or 8x on my new machine (the first to be read was on 8x) however speed doesn't seem to be the answer to the question as there're many cd's that I burn after that which don't work.

My last attempt was burning Genesis Foxtrot on software A (didn't work) then tried again with nero and "disc at once/96" and it did.
This is the first time I use the "96 option" alsways having burned with disc at once.

So the question is:

Is there a way to successfully burn cd's to be read with older cd players??

Currently I'm running windows 7 64 bits (plenty of ram, 8gb) completely updated, Using Nero 10 as burning software and TDK discs at the moment.

The songs are rips of my own cd's or vinyls, most done in 24 bits/96khz

Many thanks guys.

Pablo.
Old 3rd November 2011, 11:39 PM   #2
josha is offline josha  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Funnily enough, I'm having exactly the same problem. I'm just about to try a slower burn speed and if that fails maybe some better quality disks - I'll let you know if I have any success!
Old 4th November 2011, 12:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

If I remember correctly in house cds and pc burners burn cd's differently.
The pc burners dont do as good a job.
Old 4th November 2011, 03:01 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I also had that problem a few years ago. I found after much experimentation that only a certain type of CD blank, TDK if I remember correctly, burned at the slowest possible speed would work.

Mike
Old 4th November 2011, 03:11 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ComputerJLT
i remember these problems when cdr's first came out lol. IIRC the most luck i had back in the day was finding a good brand that worked with most older players. i dont think speed has as much to do with it as the type of disk you're using.
Old 4th November 2011, 04:23 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

As I stated in post #4, the ONLY way I could get that older player to read CDRs was to burn a certain type at the slowest speed my burner would operate. It was an early '90s car player that I can't remember the make, and a Plextor burner that would burn at 4x, 8x and 16x.

Mike
Old 4th November 2011, 04:57 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

It's hard to narrow down the problem with the available info. You are making CD audio discs of <72 minutes? Maybe the 96k rate is causing a glitch?
Old 4th November 2011, 06:11 AM   #8
josha is offline josha  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I've tied burning at 4x and 48x some cheap verbatim disks, some of the 48x play and some of the 4x play, however some of the blanks aren't recognised by the burner itself so I think the disks are of too poor a quality to draw any conclusions about the burn speed in this case. Of course, all this was before I read Mike's response above and had a quick google - all of which suggests that 4x on good quality disks is the way to go for Audio cd's.
Old 4th November 2011, 06:55 AM   #9
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

I've had no problem using CD-Rs on any early 1990s Sony CD players.

I think as long as you use decent quality blanks it should work fine. Burn speed made no difference in the Sony player's ability to read the CD-R.

You might have a laser that might need cleaning or reaching end of life.
Old 4th November 2011, 08:22 AM   #10
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

The only way to know what is going on is to look at the RF signal from the pickup on the Sony on both red book standard and a burned CDR that will play. As others say, the pickup could be marginal.

As to burning CD's I find on my laptop that burning at the highest speed gives the best signal when the resulting disc is played back and the RF examined although any speed is trouble free.

If the CDP is a real oldie then technically it only conforms to the red book standard of 74 minutes max playing time and most CDR's are 80 minutes with a resulting narrow track width. If it plays a red book test CD and all its error testing tracks etc then it's OK.

Remember burned CD's are totally different in that while a red book or "pressed" CD uses a reflective layer, a burned CDR uses a dye that is changed by the burning process. The resulting "reflection/no reflection" boundaries are no where near as well defined as on a pressed disc.

Hide this!Advertise here!