Burning cd's for older players? - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2011, 08:56 PM   #71
ozzyscl is offline ozzyscl  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdio View Post
I've been trying for years to find some sort of specification of the burning commands that most drives must implement in order for all burning software to talk to all drives. If anyone has a link, such a spec should answer a lot of these questions about how much control is available.

Maybe there are multiple ways to burn. It could be that there's a command that passes off full control to the drive firmware, and another command that allows more control.

On that note, I know that a few brands of burning drives allow more than two seconds of audio before the first track (a hidden track feature used on quite a few pressed CDs). This requires a special command that is not implemented on the average drive, and thus it won't work everywhere. I've been trying to find documentation for this command - but no luck so far. Most generic burning API will not implement this because it won't work everywhere, but I'd really like to be able to use the feature for live recordings. So, if anyone has information, please post a link - it should answer many questions if we could find a specification.

Having that info would be great, I read that usually the first part of the burning process gets more of the speed to cope with TOC and the opening of the session, then slows a bit for the rest of the track then picks up again for closing the session.

I used s software not long ago, that gave you the choice of gap you wanted to introduce. Nothing big, I think the maximum was about 4 seconds.

But nothing like on pressed cd's where you get minutes of silence before a track, like in Nirvana's Nevermind, where you have around 6 minutes of silence before a hidden track. Which according to what I've read, was left out of the disc by accident, then Kobain and the rest of the band demanded it to have it back on the next batch of cd's.

So if you ever find a Nevermind w/o the hidden track (original and from the 90's) you might have a rare disc.
Old 22nd December 2011, 11:25 AM   #72
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
I too have always understood the original format was 74 minutes...

Many years ago (I guess around 1985) in the early years of CD I attended a 3 day residential course at Sony UK in Thatcham and where we pulled the theory and number crunching apart.

I remember clearly mentioning to the instructor about a new CD release that had the playing time of 76' 57'' (Rachmaninov preludes, Nimbus NI5094) and his comments were that it violated the original standard and so would not be guaranteed to play on all players. In fact more than that, at first he found it hard to believe such a CD existed but wanted all the details so he could obtain a copy. I have recollections of it creating a stir in the hifi press at the time too.

The longest disc I have now is a Deutsche Grammophon (459-362-2) which has a playing time of 79' 21" and it plays perfectly on my old Micromega... haven't tried it on the Marantz Pearl Lite yet... if it hiccups I'll be back
I remembered this one
Longest playing CD I have ever come across.
Old 11th July 2013, 11:52 AM   #73
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys, newbie here.
Did anyone solve their Audio CD Burning issues, Since using Windows 8 on a HP Pavillion g6 laptop I am unable to burn an Audio CD that will play on my Sanyo DCX750 Digital Stereo Sound System (around 15 years old), Yes the tracks are burned as .cda, I have tried numerous burning software versions at low and high speeds with high quality music disks.
The burned CD's will play on any PC and on my modern TV Free view box which has VHS and DVD play facilities.
I used to burn CD's on my old HP Pavillion tower set-up using Windows XP and Sonic's RecordNow burning program and those CD's still work on any player/PC.
Any help appreciated.
Old 12th July 2013, 11:16 PM   #74
diyAudio Member

different CD-R's have different reflectivity. Measure the RF amplitude, and adjust the laser output accordingly. Once all ok with CD-R's, make sure there's no clipping with high reflectivity original CD's bought in shop.

search the site by my user name for more info...

Boky
Old 13th July 2013, 12:59 PM   #75
diyAudio Member

Default eh!

Thanks extreme-Bocky for taking the time to respond, BUT all that you noted is way, way over my head as I'm not technical in any way, shape or form.
(any easy fixes).
Regards
Un1corn
Old 13th July 2013, 03:47 PM   #76
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Boky means using an oscilloscope to see what is actually on the discs signal wise, as in these scope shots post #1,

Sony CDP790 and KSS240 Restoration Project

You would have to have a player that actually plays them OK though to do that. A good CD-R should look similar to this and the amplitude should be similar to a bought CD.

What I would suggest is that you try these unplayable discs on another old (as in one that plays only CD's and not multi format) just to be 100% certain the discs really are "audio". I'm sure they are, you sound to be doing everything right but best to confirm it.
Old 13th July 2013, 08:01 PM   #77
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

My experience is that a CD-R has lower amplitude and noisier eye pattern than a factory CD. Even factory CDs are not all the same, their reflectivity differs and so does the signal amplitude.
Old 14th July 2013, 01:14 PM   #78
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un1corn View Post
Thanks extreme-Bocky for taking the time to respond, BUT all that you noted is way, way over my head as I'm not technical in any way, shape or form.
(any easy fixes).
Regards
Un1corn
ok then, find the little trim-pot located on the laser assembly (laser pick-up). turn it clockwise 5 degrees. you’ll need a small flat-head screwdriver.

Hide this!Advertise here!