Help with Luxman DZ-121

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Luxman DZ-121 cd player that started to skip years ago. I didn't have time to work on it at the time so I stored it away. I've always loved the sound from this machine. Rather than toss it or sell it for parts I'd rather try to repair it. The tray belt had disintegrated so I replaced that, and then I methodically cleaned and lubed the transport rails.... still skips. It will play initial tracks on any given CD without a hitch, but as it moves to later tracks it starts to lose itself - it won't play tracks near the end of CD at all.

I've read on this forum that many people have replaced the optical pick-up mechanism - I see assemblies like this on eBay for $10-15. I found a service manual for the DZ-112 which looks similar; it lists the optical head as a HD2001. Another poster on this forum with a DZ-120 replaced with a KSS-210 unit. Does anyone know which optical assembly works for the DZ-121?

I've also come across people who've had to replace the motor that transports the laser head.

Any advice is welcome to get this great machine back in operation!

Thanks!
TY

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Look at the laser pickup to get the full type number from it... don't guess.

If it is a KSS210 variant (and there are different types A,B and C) then these are cheap and easy to replace. Spindle motors wear and sled assemblys get sticky with old grease etc.

If it is just skipping then the pickup may or may not be the problem.

I did a very careful job of ensuring the laser pickup assembly moves freely. I cleaned it thoroughly and lubed it - it doesn't seem to be hanging up. I don't know enough to be positive, but I don't think it's a problem with it sticking due to old grease or binding.

That leaves the pickup head or the motor as likely problems. I will take a close look at the model number on the pickup and post back.

If the unit has a disc clamper that holds by pressure, rather than magnetic, check the bearing surface that it spins upon. If there is a worn hole in the bearing surface, sand it flat & smooth as possible and apply thick grease. If it's not that, the platter motor is almost certainly at fault, which might be curable by shooting silicone spray inside & running the motor a good while, but maybe not.

Hi

I too has a DZ-121 and have enjoyed it for longer than I like to admit. Mine, the tray will not come. I looked at the switch and it's making contact and the motor is spinning. You mentioned the tray belt. It must be on the bottom, didn't see it. May I ask from where you found one. Thought I'd give it a try.

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.