DAC for my cd-pro II school project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
This semester at school for my EE senior design project, I have decided to get a group of friends together and build a cd player based on the cd-pro II module. I ordered it from Enco Group, and will be making a front end for it with a pic18f452. I am just starting the design, and have 15 weeks to finish it.

Anyway, I am going to make 2 dac designs for this project, and compare them:

This first is a non-oversampling design using the AD1865N-K. This worked just fine, prototyping, and testing with a cs8414 receiver and a digital source. This was quite easy to get working (just a couple of hours, after getting all the parts, and the CS8414 put on a smt adapter)

The second dac that I want to build is an oversampling design, using the AD1955 dac, AD1896 ASRC converter and the D1 output stage.

I am wondering what else I need to use with the AD1896 and AD1955 chips, feeding them the i2s directly from the transport. What other chip/chips do I need to make this design work? I have some DF1704/6 chips, and have looked at the SM5842AP/SM5843 digital filter chips, but am unsure what would work best here.

As for configuration, I can use the PIC to configure the AD1955. I ordered smt adapters from Aprilog, and I should have them in a few days, so I can start prototyping the design on a breadboard. (part number 28SSO-D6-SMT-S)

webpage for the project layout so far:
http://brian.prohosting.com/4006
i just started the project last week, so I haven't done much yet, besides prototyping the non-oversampling ad1865 dac. My cdpro2 module should arrive on monday, and I can start working on the interface for it.

Anyway, any suggestions on a digital filter design for this design?
I have looked at the jt dac, which uses the ad1890 (older version of the ad1896), and peter's dac, which uses the ad1896a and df1706.

--
Brian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.