24 bit 192khz s/cards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My SB live outputs a 48khz 16bit signal from the digi out, this is good as my DAC cant take anything more. However if I had a 24 bit 192khz SC and a 24/192 DAC would the digi out be in 24/192??.

I ask this as I use the computer to play music from the HD as uncompressed Wavs.

The SB card upsamples everything to 48khz before output and does a really shoddy job, so the player I've got upsamples real time to 48khz to get around this. Now I can up to a max of 96 khz and set out to 24 bit, this is all in the player. Now if I had a capable SC and DAC would the DAC recieve a 24/96khz signal, with the program upsampling??, this is assuming I could tell the SC to out a 96khz sample freq.

Cheers Mat

5th element said:
My SB live outputs a 48khz 16bit signal from the digi out, this is good as my DAC cant take anything more. However if I had a 24 bit 192khz SC and a 24/192 DAC would the digi out be in 24/192??.

---------------------------------------------------
Sorry to be nrgative. SB cards are amongst the worst I have come across, with a truly horrible digital output. For games and not serious audio. The distortion products are high in level and the thing overloads easily on the A/D input.

Buy a decent sound card without sample rate conversion to 18 kHz for everything.

Ok I think that I will give some more info. The ADC quality is of no importance whatsoever. I never stress the card at all more or less at less then half volume all the time with the gain set higher on the preamp. This is after my DAC the SC has no analogue use at all.

My original question which seems to have been sidetracked was
If I had a 24/192 card and 24/192 DAC would the card output a 24/192 signal to the DAC?????????

And I use foobar2k to play the files, this upsamples too. I play uncompressed digitally transfered (via windac) WAVS from the hard disk. The files are obviously at 44.1khz 16 bit. Now if I up sampled to 96khz (the max the program can do) 24bit would I get an output at 24/96 or not??

One final note to the SB sounding rhubarb, it sounds significantly better then my TEAC T1 transport, go figure. Also I have recently put the KX drivers onto the comp to replace the soundblaster ones. This allows complete control of the DSP, which I bypassed, the Blaster I think doesnt bypass but sets everything to flat. Switching out the DSP makes a nice improvement in the quality of the sound.

Meta not to sound ungrateful but what does that post have to do with my question. All of it seems to be on ADC which I have stated is of no importance to me. My original question has not been answered either. If I missed something on that post which will convert my SB into a 24/96 card on the digital OUTPUT then please tell me.

As always cheers Matt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.