Dying or adjusting CD?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone,

Either my 11 year old Onkyo DX-706 CD player needs adjustment or maintenance, or its laser is slowly dying. (These are my guesses, anyway).

Some discs (especially CD-R discs) are no longer play-able, and when pressing the button to change track, it has problems finding the track, especially the higher track numbers. Sometimes it helps to skip past a track (to the next which it can't find either), and then go backwards!? :scratch:

Does anyone know what is wrong, and a cure for it?

Hi Eric,

I'm not sure what I'm looking for.:scratch:

The closest I get to an answer is that the picture shows what I could see. Maybe the lable makes sense to you...?

Thanks -
Jennice

Attachments

• onkyo laser-small2.jpg
    onkyo laser-small2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 730
Thanks, that is what I was looking for.
The pickups that I mentioned are cheap and easily available, however the one that you have may not be.
First things to do include resoldering the regulators/power supplies, cleaning and relubing the sled rails, and maybe upping the laser power.
You may find a pot marked APC on the main board - mark this carefully so you have a reference, and try increasing the output a little.
Try this - if no joy send a photo of the main board.

Eric.

Lubrication.

Hi Eric ,
What do you use to lubricate the sledge. I see some whitish residue. Doesn't look like silicon grease which I have. Mine is translucent and is possibly more viscous. This I think is a metal to plastic contact. Any place where they recommend the types of lubricants to use in cd player transports?
Thanks,
Ashok.

Hi Jennice,
You've said that CD-Rs give you more trouble. Since your player is 11 years old, it might have problems reading CD-Rs recorded at higher speeds. When recorded at speeds more than 16x, the pits on the CDs don't form well and the player has a hard time finding the tracks. This even happens on PC drives that are four years old or even less. The higher track numbers are located at the outer edges of the CD and that part of the CD spins the fastest. So naturally, it is not able to compensate with the difference in speed. The next time you record a CD, try burning it at 8x. 4x is even better. Then try playing the CD. You should have no problems.

Have a nice time :)

Hi Pixo ! :)

What an interesting theory...
It never crossed my mind, but now that you mention it, it sounds reasonable :idea: :nod:

I'll try that, and see what happens.

In general, this should mean that the burning of a CD is technically better when done at lower recording speed. This could influence storage time before it becomes un-readable due to old age. :bulb:

It's off track for this thead I know... but an interesting aspect!:att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n:

Thanks for bringing it to my attention :)
Jennice

8x max.

When buying high speed CD-R's from a Singapore shop , the shop keeper asked us what we were going to record on it. When we said music , he said not to record over 8X speed - no matter how fast the disc is rated. So 4 X should be ideal. I have done discs up to 12x and they play fine on my ancient Rotel 855 machine. To be sure , 4x could be the safest speed.
Cheers.

Jennice said:
My Onlyo CD is making trouble again now - more than ever...!
Could anyone tell me how to find the adjustment pot for the laser power? Type and pics earlier in the thread).

any help appreciated...

Jennice

even adjusting the the apc only lasts so long i would just do a search and replace the laser. or take the laser to a shop and get the tech to find one

;)

you can see in the pic there a lot of dust in the laser

Hi Karma,

Thanks for the reply. The pic was taken before my cleaning - maybe it's time again (although it never got as good as new). I used a cotton stick (those you also clean ears with), but no liquids.

Can I do more or use something better? Also, I think I'll check if the assembly moves freely or if it needs cleaning/lubricating. Any suggestions on lubricants?

Jennice

This is an interesting thread.

I'm having a similar problem with a sony CDP-C505 player.

It uses a KSS240A head, however, I replaced the head with a brand new one last year.

I'm thinking something on the pickup board is not right.
Could anyone help? It often has great trouble spinning up a disc when I put it in. It slowly spins up and gives up.

heh one of manny problems. one time i was working on a panasonic dvd player that somtimes would spin up when i installed a cd other times it would read no disk right away.

found out it was the brushes in the spindle motor where worn out and shorting the player out

it would still spin just not at the right speed

its been working for three years now with no ploblems

if its a older player test the moving parts as well motors etc...

Attachments

• mvc-550f.jpg
    mvc-550f.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 138
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.