USB FLASH as input source - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2011, 02:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default USB FLASH as input source

Hi,

I will be straight to the point as I don't have to much time.

I want to feed a USB soundcard with media content directly from USB FLASH( not from PC,you know the cause) and the processed content feeded to a BUFFALO DAC.

Is it possible or I need to use a streaming controller to force the USB FLASH to autoplay like in PC as a USB HOST.

In a schematic from electronic-diy I saw some control buttons,can they control the usb flash?

Ok I think a picture is more valuable ...

See the attachment.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 24th October 2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It will be interesting to see what chip set you come up with.
Of course there are a number of devices on the market that do just this. From Logitech, Western Digital, Roku and many Chinese brands.

I just bought a WDTV Live Plus to do the same thing. When it gets here, I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 24th October 2011, 02:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Endless choices for (non-PC) audio players that will play content from a flash drive. The problem is trying to use any of them as a host for a USB soundcard.

Why do you insist on this configuration? Just find a player with SPDIF.
Old 24th October 2011, 03:01 PM   #4
ramallo is offline ramallo  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ramallo
I'm looking chinese sellers at eBay , and I found this

Will be a nice start for a mod
Old 24th October 2011, 07:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAnonymous1 View Post
Endless choices for (non-PC) audio players that will play content from a flash drive. The problem is trying to use any of them as a host for a USB soundcard.

Why do you insist on this configuration? Just find a player with SPDIF.
The cause is that I want to skip the CD player source (I have a C.E.C 680CD,cd mechanical part missing/removed and one Sony CDP-M49 with dual-mono BB PCM63 same problem ) , not because I don't like it (the best natural audio source is the CD player) ,personally I like to have at least one baby: GRUNDING CD9009 or SONY CDP-557ESD , but as they are too hard to get and too expensive ... I will skip them.
And lately to write them as cda files (mp3 never) on a CD every time , just 16-17 tracks,and to increase the size of cd bulks on my bureau ... back to the good times of '90-'99.
I tought that it will be nice to invest some money in the DAC, USB RECEIVER,CONTROLLER ,maybe TRANCEIVER (need some help from you if I need it instead of controller but I doubt it,it's used only like a bridge,receive and transmit) and at least but not at least the signal carrier wich need to be perfect (a good power supply).
I think that I will open a usb flash player or find a schematic of it to figure out how to append to my desired project.

Any tips are welcomed.

TheMasterPC
Old 24th October 2011, 10:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Well, I wasn't questioning why you want to play files from a flash drive. I was questioning why you want to try and use the PCM2707 with something other than a PC (not happening), when it just over complicates things.
Old 25th October 2011, 07:37 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAnonymous1 View Post
Well, I wasn't questioning why you want to play files from a flash drive. I was questioning why you want to try and use the PCM2707 with something other than a PC (not happening), when it just over complicates things.
The reason of using a flash drive is the storage ofcourse , it is decided ... I don't want to use PC in SW decoding process.
The PCM2707 it was just an option ,but is only a usb audio receiver so it will be skipped from my schematic.
I found some info's about BU9432 , a all-in one chip wich acts like a controller,decoder,system controller,dac so i need to figure out how to find a solution of how to don't use the dac or the decoder(usually mp3 decoder),whell for my design I need to use separate chips(usb controller,usb audio codec for the decoding part,system controller -maybe a PIC).
It will not be easy but I have the picture in my mind.
I really want to do this.
Old 25th October 2011, 01:12 PM   #8
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

BU9432 does not look like the best option for you. It does only MP3 (and MP1, MP2) and has no digital out. Too bad, it's a nice one chip player.

You might find a chip or chip set that does what you want but with SD flash memory, not USB. Try looking in that direction.
Old 25th October 2011, 02:27 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

The best solution is FT232H+ PIC16F688+VS1063DS+BUFFALO DAC.
Old 25th October 2011, 02:27 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Here you go, just buy it and save yourself a ton of time and inevitable headaches.....

QA-550 WAV Player to SPDIF&I2S for DAC =Hi-End Audio CD | eBay

Hide this!Advertise here!