USB FLASH as input source

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I will be straight to the point as I don't have to much time.

I want to feed a USB soundcard with media content directly from USB FLASH( not from PC,you know the cause) and the processed content feeded to a BUFFALO DAC.

Is it possible or I need to use a streaming controller to force the USB FLASH to autoplay like in PC as a USB HOST.

In a schematic from electronic-diy I saw some control buttons,can they control the usb flash?

Ok I think a picture is more valuable ...

See the attachment.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It will be interesting to see what chip set you come up with.
Of course there are a number of devices on the market that do just this. From Logitech, Western Digital, Roku and many Chinese brands.

I just bought a WDTV Live Plus to do the same thing. When it gets here, I'll let you know how it works out.

Endless choices for (non-PC) audio players that will play content from a flash drive. The problem is trying to use any of them as a host for a USB soundcard.

Why do you insist on this configuration? Just find a player with SPDIF.

The cause is that I want to skip the CD player source (I have a C.E.C 680CD,cd mechanical part missing/removed and one Sony CDP-M49 with dual-mono BB PCM63 same problem :( ) , not because I don't like it (the best natural audio source is the CD player) ,personally I like to have at least one baby: GRUNDING CD9009 or SONY CDP-557ESD :hug: , but as they are too hard to get and too expensive ... I will skip them.
And lately to write them as cda files (mp3 never) on a CD every time , just 16-17 tracks,and to increase the size of cd bulks on my bureau ... back to the good times of '90-'99.
I tought that it will be nice to invest some money in the DAC, USB RECEIVER,CONTROLLER ,maybe TRANCEIVER (need some help from you if I need it instead of controller but I doubt it,it's used only like a bridge,receive and transmit) and at least but not at least the signal carrier wich need to be perfect (a good power supply).
I think that I will open a usb flash player or find a schematic of it to figure out how to append to my desired project.

Any tips are welcomed.

TheMasterPC

Well, I wasn't questioning why you want to play files from a flash drive. I was questioning why you want to try and use the PCM2707 with something other than a PC (not happening), when it just over complicates things.

The reason of using a flash drive is the storage ofcourse :) , it is decided ... I don't want to use PC in SW decoding process.
The PCM2707 it was just an option ,but is only a usb audio receiver so it will be skipped from my schematic.
I found some info's about [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BU9432 , a all-in one [/FONT]chip wich acts like a controller,decoder,system controller,dac so i need to figure out how to find a solution of how to don't use the dac or the decoder(usually mp3 decoder),whell for my design I need to use separate chips(usb controller,usb audio codec for the decoding part,system controller -maybe a PIC).
It will not be easy but I have the picture in my mind.
I really want to do this.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
BU9432 does not look like the best option for you. It does only MP3 (and MP1, MP2) and has no digital out. Too bad, it's a nice one chip player.

You might find a chip or chip set that does what you want but with SD flash memory, not USB. Try looking in that direction.

Well I think that I need to skip the project ... the total cost exceeds my budget. (max 150 $)

Only the ESS9012 cost 65$ + QA550 SD Card WAV Digital Audio Player 134$ (without shipment costs, living in EU) , without regulator and power transformer aprox. 60 $ (again without shipment) .... ohh god , I know that a good setup cost but the shipment kills me for good,almost 80-100$ as I made some price assumptions.
Even if I get the SD card player and the rest I build up on my own,the parts are very hard to get (farnell,mouser) :( .... that's why the renowed producers of HI-FI products are so confident on their sales, the client choose them,buying their products.
You are lucky that you live in US or ASIA(China,Taiwan,Japan).

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yeah, I don't think you'll do it all for $150. The player costs almost that much. Buy all the parts and make a few mistakes and it will cost you more to build it, for sure.

I'm telling you, you can pick up a WDTV live for about $60 on ebay. That will get you started. Then save up your money for a good DAC, maybe one you can modify.

Yeah, I don't think you'll do it all for $150. The player costs almost that much. Buy all the parts and make a few mistakes and it will cost you more to build it, for sure.

I'm telling you, you can pick up a WDTV live for about $60 on ebay. That will get you started. Then save up your money for a good DAC, maybe one you can modify.

Well I don't know the inside HW of WDTV, it's a media player.
It will not be a big difference between my rig and WDTV, for sure.

<OFFTOPIC>:
My rig is made with quality parts, the MB is a GIGABYTE 890fxa-ud7, high quality 850w power-supply , AMD six core CPU and soo on.
Anyway the single EMI that I get is from the FAN of the CPU cooler.(is on a MUGEN cooler)
I have a custom PC case made by me,the MB is at the top and the HDDs and the PW SUPPLY is at the bootom, all of them separated,even the cables are routed directly to exact path,no weird traveling on the board.</>

Now I want to find another solution,what happens if I use the coaxial S/PDIF and routing the source to a spdif receiver ( TI or WOLFSON) + MONO DACs (I have 2 PMC63) and some nice OPAMP, I want OPA2111BM, but that bastard is very expensive.
Do I improve or get more quality to my setup,btw I forgot to tell you, I want to drive my ATH-M50S cans, they lack of soundstage and sound spatiality (realtek chip can't provide it) with my RIG, that's why I need something that can offer it.
What do you think?It deserve the effort to make the proposed setup?
Waiting your directions.

"I just bought a WDTV Live Plus to do the same thing"
Michael
Is the WD TV Live plus still stuck at 24/48 max. like the WD TV Live ?
BTW, the WD TV Live sounds better if supplied by a good Linear PSU.
A funny thing though, as I found that HDMI from the WD TV Live into my Samsung "LED" TV, then Optical Out, sounded better than direct Toslink from the WD TV Live.
My DAC has 2 Toslink Inputs that I could switch between, and yes, we did also swap inputs. A friend who is also a DIYAudio member agreed with this too. Surprising result.
Regards
Alex

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The WDTV is here and working very nicely I'm happy to say. I have my files on a USB hard drive attached to it. I control the WD with JRver MC from this laptop. SPDIF out to my DAC.

Have not done expensive testing, but yes, it does seem to top out at 48Khz. Doesn't matter much to me, I have very little content in 88.2 or 96Khz. I will mod it someday for a proper BNC output, I'm not that fond of optical. I'll try a similar experiment to your "thru the TV" by running it thru a device that is supposed to clean up jitter.

MasterPC
I think this could work very well for you, at least as a start. It's small, inexpensive and easy to use. Plays FLAC files with ease.

Since digital technology is developed at speed faster than anything else, everything is possible and technical possible. The DSP for audiophile basically follow this formula: Source (Digital music file) + Interface (DSP + I/O) + DAC chipset
1) PC based refers to desktop or notebook computer with DSP by CPU from Intel, AMD, etc… and software O/S and media player
2) Non-PC based refers to HD media player or music server with DSP by commercial chipset such as FPGA, etc… and embossed software fireware
I recommend audio amateur to firstly define your goal of either DIY design or commercial purchase which is based on:
1) Bit Perfect audio condition
2) The highest audio resolution of 16/24 Bit at 44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 KHz
Once you define your requirement, then you can look for what you want (DIY design or purchase commercial product)

Since digital technology is developed at speed faster than anything else, everything is possible and technical possible. The DSP for audiophile basically follow this formula: Source (Digital music file) + Interface (DSP + I/O) + DAC chipset
1) PC based refers to desktop or notebook computer with DSP by CPU from Intel, AMD, etc… and software O/S and media player
2) Non-PC based refers to HD media player or music server with DSP by commercial chipset such as FPGA, etc… and embossed software fireware
I recommend audio amateur to firstly define your goal of either DIY design or commercial purchase which is based on:
1) Bit Perfect audio condition
2) The highest audio resolution of 16/24 Bit at 44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 KHz
Once you define your requirement, then you can look for what you want (DIY design or purchase commercial product)

Perfect statement,completly agree with you ... it was reffered to me or for the all who seek similar solutions ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.