CD player at around US$500-600

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone,

I know this may not be the perfect place to ask this, but I don't know where else to put it...:bawling:

My trusty old Onkyo DX-706 seems to suffer from a slowly dying laser diode, and since it's as old as it is, I thought that repair (if at all possible?) may be unreasonably expensive. Therefore I am on the look-out for a good replacement in the range of US$500-600.
(It is starting to have trouble reading CD-R discs, and the last tracks (!?) of some origial (pressed) CD's.

Any ideas are welcome, but please don't get too exotic, as I doubt that it'll be available in Denmark.

I have thought of DIY'ing with a CD-PRO drive (which I found to be available in from home-optics in the netherlands (?), but I have two points of doubt.
First is: Is it going to be that much better?
Second: My time is limited, and realizing how slow I get on with my amp project, I don't thing DIY'ing for the CD is the right thing to do...

Hoping for good suggestions - (except for CD-ROM drives & such, which will NOT meet the Spouse Acceptance Factor criteria. :cannotbe:)

Jennice

For the last 11 years I have the Onkyo DX-706 which I'm quite pleased with.
Unfortunately, it's starting to show signs of old age...:bawling:

Mechanical arthritis and near-sightedness, so to speak :(
Therefore I'm looking for a replacement, as I learned that the laser unit is no longer available as replacement part, even though the mechanics are build to last forever ;)

It'll be hard to part with that player :bawling: but I guess it can't be long :(

Jennice

Transport?

Hi Janicce,

Can't you buy an other player with the samp transport build in and use that transport for your loved Onkyo DX-706 CD-Player?

I have a VRDS 7 CD-Player that I used for a few months.
My partner gave it to me for my birth day a few years ago and afterwards I bought a Wadia 8/15 combination and never used the TEAC player again.

I don't have the Wadia set anymore, the TEAC VRDS 25X Is Much better than the Wadia 8/15 comb, after some tremendus modifications that is.

If you are interested, send me a mail and I'll see what i can do for you.

If you can put a pic of the Onkyo DX-706 transport on the forum, than maybe we can do something for you. Send me the transport number and I'll do my best to help you with your Onkyo DX-706!

All the best,

Audiofanatic ;)

Hi Jennice

I have just lubricated the motor in my DX706, that cured everything. DX706 is a very butifull CDP, specially if you change the analog stage, I have tried it with a suprisingly good result. When I have finished this mod I will post it. You can buy an used DX706 for about 1000 dk kr (140$) or less at dba.dk.

Regards

Jennice said:
Hej Henrik, ;)
Could you please explain what you used and where you applied the lubrication?

I know it sounds odd, I had problems like yours, but only at the inner tracks, and everything went okay after lubricicating.
You just apply a few drops of oil on the spindle just where it goes into the bearing of the motor, just under neath the plate on which you place the CD. It´s simple so it should be worth a try.

I can reccomend you to read this page: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/cdfaq.htm which is a nice site about CD-repair.

Good luck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.