Ross Martin DAC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A chap named Ross Martin out of Nebraska has been selling a low-priced DAC on E-pay based on one of the TI DAC chips. I've been too indolent and unobservant to get into the scrum to pick up one of the Twisted Pear DACs, and am kinda suspicious of the cheaper Chinese gear, so I picked up one of these on spec with SPDIF and optical inputs (he customizes). It arrived just before Burning Amp this year, but I didn't bring it along, as I was loaded down with a lot of other stuff. Now I'm wishing I had, as it would have been interesting to compare it with a Twisted Pear DAC. I've run the Ross Martin DAC from the SPDIF output of my Cal Audio Labs Ikon MkII player, and the optical output from my Oppo DVD player. The sound is pretty clean and distinct in character from the usual analog output signal from either player. I'm still evaluating, and may not come to a definitive conclusion until I play it some more and/or compare it to another outboard DAC - this is my first one. Has anyone else here had any experience with this product? My first impression is that it's pretty good considering the asking price. It's a bit rough-hewn looking compared to other DACs in its price range, but considering that most of the equipment in my living room is home-built, I don't have a lot of grounds for complaint.

I have no first hand experience with the product, but Ross is good guy. I sold him a bunch of PCM1794A recently.

Hand built in the USA if that still means anything positive to anyone; but the build quality does have a mid-grade "DIY" look to it. That's reflected in the price I think though. Go price something pretty with the same specs.

The only down side I've seen so far is pops between tracks, especially if you jump around. Having said that, a lot of folks remove or disable the muting transistors in their CD players as part of the POOGE, and they may end up with pops between tracks too, as far as I know.

I sold him a bunch of PCM1794A recently.
Q : not reltated to this dac -
I was told that there are fake pcm chips , especially in chinese cheap dacs from ebay. Do you know if that's true? Because i was tempting to buy good looking and cheap one from ebay the other day but had my doubts to stay away. thanks

btw there is thread about this dac on headfi

You are right, there might be chips of infeterior of quaility. So I usally placed order for verified vendors, or just get samples from friends in TI, or their official dealer/retailer..

I sold him a bunch of PCM1794A recently.
Q : not reltated to this dac -
I was told that there are fake pcm chips , especially in chinese cheap dacs from ebay. Do you know if that's true? Because i was tempting to buy good looking and cheap one from ebay the other day but had my doubts to stay away. thanks

btw there is thread about this dac on headfi

Did anyone listen to the new Ross Martin models (with ADA-4898)?

I own a "basic" version with National opamp and I'm very happy with the sound but I'm looking for possible upgrades since i'm addicted :D

Before spending serious money for a ES9018 implementation (commercial or DIY, these are expensive ones) I'd like to hear opinions about the new Ross designs like the Dual Bare Beast.

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.