Opinions and ideas needed about modding Muse DAC.. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2011, 05:14 PM   #1
G is offline G  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Opinions and ideas needed about modding Muse DAC..

Hi all. I am a DIY tube guy and a decent electrician but I am starting to get the digital bug. I purchased a NOS DAC off of Ebay. It is called a muse mini DAC and I believe that some of you are familiar with it. It is the one with four DAC chips (TDA1543s) I have some plans for the little DAC as far as modding goes and I have a couple of dozen questions. Firstly I don't use optical inputs so I was going to remove the optical input and jump out the pad to go with SPDIF exclusively. What I would like to do is have two coax inputs and be able to switch between them. I am somewhat of a minimalist and I think that a good quality switch with gold contacts should do this with no problem. Here is the candidate that I have in mind:

Digi-Key - 450-1382-ND (Manufacturer - TT11DGPC9T1/404)

Secondly I would like to improve the regulation by adding a couple of Burson Super Regs in place of the regulators that are on the board and lastly I want to feed it a relatively clean 12v with a little kit from Glassware which is just a simple regulator using a LD1085P. I want to mount all of this in either a different single enclosure or two separate enclosures for the power supply and the DAC respectively.

Later I may try Film caps on the output instead of the electrolytics and upgrade some of the other components. Am I off base on any of the things I want to do?
Old 22nd October 2011, 03:16 AM   #2
G is offline G  United States
diyAudio Member

Nobody huh? Well I just ordered a whole bunch of parts and I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 22nd October 2011, 04:22 AM   #3
qqqqer is offline qqqqer  Canada
diyAudio Member

head-fi (Mini Dac TDA1543 X 4 NOS)

importantly, use 9v depending what they ended up putting on your board.
Old 22nd October 2011, 06:34 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Nobody huh? Well I just ordered a whole bunch of parts and I'll let you know how it turns out.
My personal finding where that NOS from 44.1 material sounds bad, usually with distortions and un-natural aliasing sounds, that are not present in recording.
Also 1543 are very cheap/poor performance DAC's (THD+N= -75dB, SNR= -90...95dB), even using four of them is not ending up that great in the THD part (helps only the SNR part).
Especially followed by passive I/V, tubes and no filtering stage... I don't think will be anything exciting.

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 22nd October 2011 at 06:37 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!