DIY CD or SACD Drive? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2011, 03:24 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY CD or SACD Drive?

Hello,
Here is the million dollar question.... can I buy an optical drive so I can read CD's (even SACD's)? And I am not talking abut a PC CD drive (unless that is the only alternative).

My question is more geared to a DIY CD/SACD player. Has anyone ever built one?

There are plenty of DIY DAC projects so why not add another layer and go directly to the digital source?

Any info on the DSP involved in converting the digital stream? Data sheets?
Old 12th October 2011, 03:29 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Lots of people have built DIY cd players. and you can buy the Phillips CD-Pro drive mechs and they have a built in DA converter and I2S outputs you just need to build the controller for it. but I understand you can even buy that! then just add your own DAC!

SACD is a bit more complicated. Im not sure how the DSD stream is output from a CD-Mech? Some Dac's have DSD input capability but i have no idea what all is required to make all that work! But i should would like to know!

Zc
Old 12th October 2011, 03:56 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I saw a few describing DIY CD player kits.
Do you have some projects you can link me to, something you can recommend? I want to see one built from the ground up and I would like to see schematics if possible
Old 12th October 2011, 04:32 AM   #4
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

SACD uses DVD physical parts, but has multiple layers of copy protection - starting with a servo track on the disc that standard DVD chipsets can't lock onto

you would need to buy a SACD capable drive, with the SACD tech/firmware licensed from Sony already built in

there are also layers of protection for the data stream so that won't be compatible either without the rest of Sony's SACD licensed parts
Old 12th October 2011, 11:09 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Super Audio CD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 13th October 2011, 12:01 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ok so from reading that Wiki it appears that several players as well as some older playstation3's allow DSD output over HDMI. Many DAC's will allow DSD input. so while it may be possible to do.it sure doesn't look real easy! which is exactly what Sony was going for anyway!

So building your own CD system is MUCH easier if you really wanted to go through all the effort. otherwise skip the SACD and just buy an oppo i guess?

Zc
Old 13th October 2011, 05:26 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There seems to be one solution for obtaining digital non-DRM output on SACD as well as DVD-A players. A Switzerland based company is offering a modified output board that taps into the digital datastream prior to D/A conversion as well as converting DSD to PCM that the S/PDIF port can transfer.[57]
https://www.dvdupgrades.ch/product/S...ard/24308.html

.... that is interesting.... If you can understand Swedish. But it seems like they down convert the dsd stream so you'll loose quality
Old 13th October 2011, 05:47 AM   #8
uli is offline uli  Austria
diyAudio Member

... If you can understand Swedish ...

this is german

its a Swiss page, some 2000 miles away from Sweden *lol*

cheers Uli

'Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny' F.Zappa
Old 13th October 2011, 05:48 AM   #9
es44 is offline es44  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxgravediggerxz View Post
.... that is interesting.... If you can understand Swedish. But it seems like they down convert the dsd stream so you'll loose quality
A small correction. That's not Swedish, it's German.
I understand why it's easy to get confused, if You're not Scandinavian

All the best
Ebbe
Old 13th October 2011, 04:04 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well, in my Denon 2930 and 2910, the DSD decoded signal is "exposed" at the input of DAC's (PCM1792A from TI). Same in my Toshiba universal player (DSD 1608 from TI).
So it does not require the swiss "thingie" to get those. Problem is what you do after that with the three independent DSD streams (for surround).

Hide this!Advertise here!