DENON DCD 1650AE/2000AE laser pickup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,
I ordered my DENON DCD 1650AE from Japan.Unfortunately when it came I found that it does not read 50% of my CD-s whereas my old player DCD 3000 still has no problems at all (I actually expected that new one would read disks better :))
I checked the lenses and they are clear.I ordered the service manual from Denon UK and found the laser pickup part number. It is called 'traverse mechanis'
and its code is 9KA2A506B.I found that the same part is also used in DVD 3910/5910.Now, the original part mentioned is out of stock and its cost is about $150.
So I would much appreciate if somebody helped me to find it cheaper or suggest some alternative part made by other brands.Any other help/advise is much appreciated.
Thank you so much,
Eugene

But DVD 3910 uses the following(taken exactly from the service manual):

14A 00D 9KA 2A50 6A TRAV. Mecha ***’y HOP-1200RN
14B 00D 9KA 2A50 6B TRAV. Mecha ***’y HOP-1200S

So the traverse mechanism 9KA2A506B looks like exact match with the one in DCD 1650AE/2000AE.

Does it mean that replacement of the laser pickup with HOP-1200S should solve the problem? Is that much more difficult then replacing the whole part ?
Thank you,
Eugene

If you have the manual and medium hand-eye coordination it is easy.
Look to my 2930 for moral support :).
I have bought from eBay 4 extra lasers for mine.

From your 2930

14. Put the top and bottom covers back. Plug back the power cord. Using the service manual instructions reset the laser current value to the new one and zero the "laser on" timer.

I picked up some HOP-1200s' and am looking to install one in my 5910 but your step 14 has me both stumped and scared.

Is that step 14 required for the 5910? The service manual has no information whatsoever on that. If it is needed pelase post how.

Many thanks!

From your 2930

14. Put the top and bottom covers back. Plug back the power cord. Using the service manual instructions reset the laser current value to the new one and zero the "laser on" timer.

I picked up some HOP-1200s' and am looking to install one in my 5910 but your step 14 has me both stumped and scared.

Is that step 14 required for the 5910? The service manual has no information whatsoever on that. If it is needed please post how.

Many thanks!

In order to help others even though same was not done for me, no laser resetting [whatever that is] was needed for the 5910ci. I replaced the optical pickup with a new HOP-1200s and all was fine. Discs that would no longer play, now do so perfectly.

I've only beginner level skills in this arena but for this first time operation the whole process took me approx 90 minutes. Hardest part was the de-soldering [shaky hand and awkward position] but even that only took a couple of minutes. De-soldering braid required, due to position suction would have been dicey. Now to order a couple more extra 1200s'.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.