Ultra HD disc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. A while bac I found a musicdisc labeled "Ultra HD". Got curious, googles it and found this:

Ultra High Definition 32-Bit Mastering is a proprietary ultra-high-quality mastering system. This leading-edge system has achieved unprecedented sonority and musicality, reproducing as closely as possible the sound of the original master tape! This format employs what is currently the highest attainable resolution bit depth (word length) in the professional audio field, i.e. 32-bit. 32-bit resolution makes possible maximized, undistorted dynamics, and the lowest noise floor, allowing even the quietest musical information to be heard more clearly. This breakthrough results from the development, through years of experience and application of advanced digital technology, of a sophisticated A/D and D/A processing system.

Ultra HD 32-Bit Mastering does not specify a sampling rate; this allows flexibility in meticulously choosing the appropriate bandwidth for a particular recording. The higher the sampling rate -- for example, 192 kHz -- the greater the bandwidth. However, merely employing the greatest bandwidth may not guarantee the ultimate sound. With some recordings, a lower sampling rate -- 96 or 176 kHz -- may offer better musicality and more homogeneous harmonics. This determination requires careful and discerning auditioning and professional judgment. In the end, the human being’s hearing and emotions should be the final arbiter, rather than the print-out of testing equipment or technical measurements.

Recognizing these variables, FIM nevertheless tries to use 32-bit depth and 192 kHz bandwidth whenever the original analog master is at hand. Alternatively, if the original recording is on 24/96, the 32/96 may eventually be used to maintain the integrity of the sonority particular to that recording. With this flexibility, First Impression Music believes that preeminent sound is only achievable when the chemistry of the recording, mastering, glass-stamper making, replication, and quality control is right. As always, listening is believing.

Has anyone experience from this? Who stands behind it?

/John

You should have provided a link:

THE TBM SOUNDS! ULTRA HD CD - elusivedisc

If you looked at it, you must have seen, that this is a CD, and if it is a CD, it is of couse 16/44.1.

The hype about 32 bit etc. has only to do with recording and mastering, and this is even mentioned on the web site. However, higher bit depths and sampling rates are routinely used today and then downsampled for final CD production. High quality mixing and processing consoles actually work with up to 72 bit precision.

There are a number of companies who offer premium priced CDs with a claimed superior sound quality, among them MFSL, Audio Fidelity, and many others. There are also a number of mastering/processing techniques which claim such improvements, e.g. HDCD, XRCD by JVC, etc. Why don´t you just buy this TBM CD and tell us how it compares?

Thanks for sorting that out. Well, the question is then: What is the industry standard today when making masters? Bit depth and samplingfrequency? When recording new material directly to digital, I guess the choices are plenty, but whatabout digitizing an old analogue mastertape? If they have found a way to get more details and ambient information out of old recordings, along with supressing the increased noiselevels, I can see the value of such a system. I guess that information, stored in 32 bits can then be remastered to fit the cd redbook 16/44, but with a perhaps better end result.

I might try one of these CDs just got fun. But then I need a non-32 bit master version as well to compare. And someone has to borrow me a really good cd player.

There is no real standard for making masters. And noise reduction of old recordings unfortunately also masks/supresses some of the finer details of the recording.

A friend of mine occasionally records with his PC on live concerts, directly to HD. He samples at 88.2 for mixing the tracks (also on the PC) and then downsamples to 44.1 to burn to CD. He carefully adjusts the recording volume to its optimum.He uses no or very little compression. Nothing exotic, but he takes great care on every step and the results are excellent. Better than many of my purchased CDs.

Yes, to appreciate the quality possible with CD, you need a good system. Loudspeaker and amplifier are (usually) more important than the CD-player.

Last edited:
And noise reduction of old recordings unfortunately also masks/supresses some of the finer details of the recording.

Yes, I guess the most problematic part when remastering an old analogue recording, is the read out precision from the tape itself. Can't imagine that the development on such technology has been moving forward the last two decades. Software can't replace and fix everything, 16, 24 or 32 bits doesn't matter if you can't pick it up with enough resolution from the original.

If you want to listen to free high resolution recordings here are some free samples, in several different formats and sizes:
High Resolution Music DOWNLOAD services .:. FLAC in free TEST BENCH

Includes a immense file size surround recording that few dac's can even handle
Surround 5.1
DXD (WAV)
24BIT/352.8kHz

This site includes some ridiculous file sizes. one file is 1 gigabyte for 3 minutes of surround sound and no picture!

I had a listen to some of the stereo flac 96khz files, nicely recorded material.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.