DIY SACD player?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some DACS will take DSD input from a SACD player. Twisted Pear has two, the Buffalo, with a Sabre DAC, and the Opus, with a Wolfson DAC. I think that the ACKO DAC's, as well as some of the other Wolfson 8741 implementations allow for DSD input.

I have hacked into the DSD output from my Philips 963SA into my Buffalo II. You would need to look at the datasheet for the DAC inside the SACD player you were attempting to tap.

This is a high reward way to mod a SACD player, because the power supply, DAC, and output stage could be used with all digital sources. This way you only have to put money and effort into having one superlative swiss army knife of a digital decoder. This is the path I took, and I think that it makes the most sense, even if you are not on a budget.

Otherwise, I think that you would be very hard pressed to DIY a stand alone SACD player better than the Oppo BDP-95.

Just my thoughts. Have fun finding a project.

Aaron.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.