Philips CDM12.1 vs. VAM1202 reliability - repairing a CD67..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, today I got some nice remastered prog rock and I decided to take out my old Marantz CD67 out for the occasion. I mostly play vinyl or digital straight to a nice DAC, but I've spent lots of good moments with my Marantz and, well.. I turned on the power, and nothing happens. Tray doesn't eject. I figured something went bust while the player was sitting idle.

I never accept that electronics fail on me, so after I read about CD player repair, did some googling and found the repair manual it all boils down to what I was expecting the problem to be. Error 12, sled error.. After all these years, the mechanism is the original part.

So there's a replacement called the VAM1202, but then I read about various quality control problems, and because I found a company that still sells the original CDM 12.1(0) has anyone a view after all these years which one would be more reliable? The price difference is 10 euros..

Anyway, after I get this player running again it was great to find out about all of the mods! I've been doing stuff with modding on the musicians side till now..

Greetings from Finland,

Kristian

I was also wondering if there's an automation in the players firmware that keeps the tray from opening if there's an error code 12. My remote control is missing.. at some point I did something that made the DC motor spin, I think.. Maybe to prompt the user to take the player into a repair shop?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.