DSD stream output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I know there aren't many player that output the DSD stream from SACD, I've certainly never owned one. Some do convert it to PCM, others don't output any digital from SACD.

But my wife just bought a Sony BDP-S570 for it's net streaming features (very nice!). I noticed that it will output DSD, if desired. Or it will convert DSD to PCM. That was a surprise.

A good number of high end DAC chips will take a DSD signal, but I don't know of any complete DACs that will. Generally they just have S/Pdif and USB inputs. It would be fun to play with the DSD stream. Do I need to modify one of my DACs, or is there something out there on the market that takes DSD in? Something hackable is always more fun. ;)

Because of licensing limitation, only a "protected path" cam be used to stream digitally DSD from a SACD. From what I know, the options are HDMI 1.3 and DenonLinkIII.
HDMI mixes audio with video. DLIII uses three dedicated digital audio SPDIF connections and one back channel (used for hand-shacking/encryption?) via a CAT5E cable.
There was another option - DSD over encrypted FireWire link - or in Sony naming "i.Link". But I didn't see any recent device that still supports that.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.