Tweaks for the disc itself

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

Before continuing I would like to make clear my intention that I am not starting any kind of argument, flame war, or side-tracked debates. My intentions here are to air my own and others' experiences with CD enhancement tricks. I only want to hear from people who have tried these things, please.

I want to know what audible results people have had from the following:

1- Russ Andrews Reveel and Relees (mould-release remover/cleaner and anti-static agent)

2- Disc freezing

3- Marking disc edges with green/black/other pens

4- Anything else, mats, other fluids, cleaners etc..?

personally---------------------->
-My experience with the Russ Andrews products is very positive (smoother, more detail, deeper bass etc), has anyone else here tried 'em?
-I have only frozen a couple of discs and did not find large differences, if any, except maybe reduced harshness, not sure yet though
-I have not used any ink on my discs yet, though a friend who tried it heard improvements

Please let us know what you have heard when experimenting with your favourite CDs.

-Simon

Hi,
i tried many things...
-- freezing: makes a small diff sound, sounded to me a little bit brighter, more technical, didnt like it.
-- antistatic / surface: improves sound notably, but some problems with dust or spurious reflections on surface
-- colour: workes fine, small improvment on clarity / room,
most pens (green, blue, black) work; best: first sand outer edge of disk, then black or green pen...
-- my invention: a disk of heavy postcard-paper, like in some drives used for shipping, on top of a cd, when in the player, makes more improvement then most of this tweaks, but do this only with the player open, because the paper could hang inside, when opening...(reason: reduction of vibrations of rotating cd)
alf

Hi,

Thanks for the replies Alf and Chris.

I'd not heard of the Bedini Clarifier before, looks intriguing, but a bit pricey to buy before trying at home.

As for lathing or sanding the edge of the disc, that is something else I've never heard of. I will look for a green or black marker pen today and colour in the edge of one of my most 'difficult' sounding discs - Madonna, Immaculate Collection - this disc has already been frozen and treated with RA 'Reveel' & 'Relees', but still sounds a bit too brash to really settle down and relax to (bass has come out a treat though - so solid and deep - exciting!).

With the colouring, do I just fill in around the edge where there is no reflective layer? Do I colour the top side or the underside?

Is the theory here that 'stray' light is refracted and reflected around the area by the clear plastic (and the pen ink soaks it up), or am I missing the point?

I might try to rig up some kind of damping mat too, sounds like fun!! :nod:

Cheers!

-Simon

Tried a green marker pen on my Madonna CD, and the sound seems warmer and more focused on the bass, which is I suppose what I wanted. Imaging has also improved. I do wonder if it's really an improvement, or is it a... colouration ;)

Obviously I need to try more discs to be sure. But it seems more positive than the freezing :)

-Simon

Hiya,

That latest Bedini Clarifier costs as much as most Japenese CD players! But they seem to have good measurements of the changes brought about, now if I can just find someone who has one, or even sells one locally...

Eric, I heard of that trick elsewhere here, but I have none of those old floppies! I bet some will turn up somewhere, at some point. I am yet to try damping the disc in any way.

-Simon

Attachments

• cd2.jpg
    cd2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 665
Anything that adds mass to the disc can have a sonic effect but not good. If un evenly distributed the added mass can damage the transport. Sort of like the effect of an uneven load during spin cycle of your washingmachine. I learned this from a CD-R with a very slightly off-center stick on lable - result=dead transport. I also once destroyed a CD buy use of an expensive allegedly cleaning solution. Consequently I no longer put ANYTHING on a CD.

The only exception is when some fool relative with sticky fingers grabs one on the recorded surface. Then a very, very gentle use of mild discwash detergent, warm water and soft clean (I said CLEEEEAN) towel will bring it back. Other than this the best advice I can think of always handle by the edges and return them to the jewell case after play ASAP.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.