Blue ray player that will output DD to toslink or coax jacks. Sugestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...I don't see your problem.
You don't see my problem because I did a terrible job describing it! My bad!
I want a blu ray player that decodes Dolby Digital (DD) through its optical or coax ports until next year when I can swing the SSP upgrade.

1. I don't understand why I don't get DD decoding from my Blue-ray player's optical output. (BTW: no coax out)
* I do get DPL 2x

2. I DO get DD* through the optical & coax outputs from my DVD player.
* & DPL 2x etc

3. My SSP doesn't have HDMI inputs/processing. My TV does. I settle for component video quality from my DVD player for the DD decoding.

BTW: Your reply is far from wasted; thanks for the tip! My SSP has 2 optical, but 3 coax inputs. I need one more optical output than I have.

I want a blu ray player that decodes Dolby Digital (DD) through its optical or coax ports until next year when I can swing the SSP upgrade.

1. I don't understand why I don't get DD decoding from my Blue-ray player's optical output. (BTW: no coax out)
* I do get DPL 2x

1. The RECEIVER does the DECODING, the digital outputs should only output the signal. Optical or coaxial digital carry the SAME signal (SPDIF). Difference is just in cable type.

2. Check the menu in your BR player to see if the audio is "pass trough" or "decoded" internally. Because if it is decoded (uncompressed) INSIDE THE BR PLAYER, it cannot be passed anymore as 5.1 via SPDIF. SPDIF can "carry" only 2.0 uncompressed.

the signal that the player sends to the toslink transmitter is std spdif. The transmitter converts it to light. They are identical encoded streams. In most CD players, they are connected together using the same source signal. As stated, check in software that the output is set to DD/DTS output on the digital out. Also check the Bluray menu too :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.