Eastern Electric DAC Plus Input Issue - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th September 2011, 02:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Eastern Electric DAC Plus Input Issue

I recently picked up a Eastern Electric DAC plus. From the first use, it seemed to have some issues. The SAT input kept dropping out, and was making popping noises. The other inputs all worked OK, but noticed some low level dist orion that was hard to put my finger on.

Before sending the unit back, decided to break out my trusty Audio Alchemy DTI Pro 32 DTI, and run the inputs through the DTI Pro to the DAC.

Well, not only did the dropout problem disappear, but the DAC started to sound much better (like I was expecting it to). The DAC now sounds outstanding, especially with the tube out.

My question is: Why is this happening? I thought the ESS Sabre 9018 was supposed to be the leading edge regarding anti-jitter. It just seems odd to me that a vintage AA anti jitter device could provide such a level of improvement on what is supposed to be a leading edge DAC. The DAC does sound great, but it did not until the AA unit was inserted.

Any ideas?
Old 29th September 2011, 03:36 AM   #2
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is the SAT input? coax, toslink, AES, USB, HDMI ?

Perhaps thats why no-one answered your question. We don't know what SAT is.

So what sort of digital cable are you using?
Old 30th September 2011, 11:26 AM   #3
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It sounds like a signal integrity issue!
Old 30th September 2011, 07:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Good point, erin. The SAT input is the Satellite receiver input. I have worked out that the SAT receiver is at issue. It seems to have a issue with multi channel broadcasts, even when the dolby digital is switched off. The other problem was a dodgy optical cable. I switched the SAT to a BNC/RCA cable, and the 2 channel broadcasts are fine. I'll have to contact Direct TV to see if I need a software update.

I also replaced the CD connection, and upgraded to the AES input from the player. It now works correctly, and sounds outstanding. The Blu Ray is now connected to the RCA input, and works fine.

I removed the DTI Pro 32, as it no longer seems to help. The only open issue is the multi channel TV down-mix to two channel.

BTW, the EE DAC is a giant killer. It's not only hard to beat at tit's price point, it's hard to beat at several times the price.
Old 30th September 2011, 11:47 PM   #5
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Glad to hear its sorted.

Hide this!Advertise here!