Adding volume pot to cd player?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Could a volume pot be added between a cd player's pcb and the RCA jacks? Would there be any advantage to this versus using the headphone jack and volume control of the cd player? Would there be any advantage to this versus adding a volume control before the RCA inputs of the tripath amplifier? Amp already has RCA jacks on pcb.

I've decided not to add a volume pot anywhere and just use the headphone out of my Sony cd deck which has level control. I looked at some of the CD player/decks on Ebay that have variable level Rca outputs. Would there be any advantage to using those outputs versus the headphone jack?

Headphone jack = added PCB tracks, noise, potentiometer, extra sound-coupling capacitors and... an extra OP...

If you really have to adjust the volume inside the CD player you could vary the feedback... a little... at the first stage, after the DAC... use multi-turn trimmer potentiometers... you can get around 6dB attenuation. This is only to trim once and forget… you’ll need to remove the cover to do adjustments

Boky

I took the volume pot off my amp because it sounded terrible. Every cd is recorded at different levels. It seems some sort of externally controlled volume is necessary. Where or how is the best way to achieve this? I don't won't to buy a step attenuator for a cheap tripath amp, Sony cd player, and Fostex F127e speakers.

There are cheap, but good stepped attenuators on e-bay. Good switch with dale resistors... from China for under $40. I would put the attenuator just before the amplifier. If you want to unplug the interconnects from the amplifier all you need to do is to turn the attenuator all the way down and short the input to ground. This way you do not need to unplug the amplifier from the mains…. Very useful if you do a lot of demos / A-B tests and similar….

Boky

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.