REALLY good cd player - for $70, w/dvd to boot!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FYI

i think these are still worthwhile players to mod, but as for myself, i think my next project will be a modified Squeezebox:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19822

i've heard my friend's stock SqueezeBox 3 feeding a MSB Link III Gold DAC using toslink. sounded fantastic, very smooth and dimensional. based on that fellow's simple mods, the internal DAC could possibly sound as good or better (though i must say the MSB is a fine unit). there might be something to this asynchronous streamed playback - gets rid of all the ills of an optical pickup.

Re: FYI

dorkus said:
i've heard my friend's stock SqueezeBox 3 feeding a MSB Link III Gold DAC using toslink.

Try the Panasonic as a transport.
Yes, using toslink, the only option on that player.
I think you'll be surprized.
Not bad at all, much better (in standard form) than most CDPs out there, used as a transport, even through coax S/PDIF.

Re: Re: FYI

carlosfm said:

Try the Panasonic as a transport.

yeah, it's not so bad as a transport, but not as good as my old Sony DVP-S7700 using either coax or toslink. i hear the older S7000 was an even better transport, but the S7700 is the best i've heard in my (admittedly limited) experience. much better than any of the cheap DVD players or my C222ES sacd player.

supposedly the squeezebox (or any properly-implemented hard disk based playback) has the potential to blow away any optical transport at any price though. of course, it does mean the added inconvenience of ripping all your CDs.

I checked inside my Samsung player and the audio section is Samsung and Fujitsu with no sign of any opamps. No wonder the sound output is unusually low level and thin sounding.

I saw some decent chips in one of two USD20 players that I had briefly (they died after a couple of weeks)

Looking more closely at the two dead player I see:

One with CS4340(stereo) and CS4334 (secondary audio)
Other WM8746, a decent 6 channel chip with 106dB SNR possible

No sign of any PLL to generate clock from the 27MHz crystal on either of these so I guess that the LSI is generating the audio clock

Both of them let down by 4558 opamps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.