My high quality clock upgrade - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2011, 08:05 PM   #1
simonov is offline simonov  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Default My high quality clock upgrade

So I've finally got the nice clock into the CD. I upgraded my Arcam Alpha 5 CD player and now its of completely different league. This is how the complete module and some I2S reclocking looks inside the trusty Arcam.

Click the image to open in full size.

The clock module is based on the PFM "The Flea" schematic but I used my own PCB design. More info is available HERE

Regards,
Venci
Old 16th September 2011, 08:53 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Neat looking pcb, thanks for sharing. Have you thought about using picogates for the I2C reclocking and what about DEM reclocking next ?
Old 17th September 2011, 06:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi,
by PicoGate you probably mean the SMD series of logic ic's froo NXP(Philips). Actually the PCB uses two 1G(two of them) family inverters to buffer the oscillator's output. Actually the picture is there just to show how the module looks. It also shows the most common way of reclocking the I2S bus - using a quad flip-flop to reclock the whole bus. At the moment I'm not actually using this method. I just use a simple frequency divider to feed to pin 2 and pin 4 of the DAC chip. Again, I use a TH IC since it's easier to use it on breadboard. My next project will have all frequencies needed for reclocking and DEM reclocking (using the 1G family logic). This way a minimum number of external components will be required.

Regards,
Venci.
Old 17th September 2011, 09:01 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Yes I was thinking of using the NXP PicoGates to reclock each I2C line individually rather than clocking them all through a single device (like Arcam did in the Alpha 5+ and you've done on the veroboard). You'll find further gains from the DEM reclocking if you haven't done it before. Separate local regulators for the DAC and filter will help too.

Regards,

Jon
Old 17th September 2011, 11:50 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I no longer use one IC to reclock the I2S bus. The result wasn't satisfactory. This is an old photo just to show how the module looks like.

Regards,
Venci

Hide this!Advertise here!