Grounding dedicated PSU for SAA7220

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...sorry....maybe a solder blob or something did it ?

I fried an ' A ' with that error once - it's something you don't forget.
I now have a magnifying lense to check all important connections to make sure there are no shorts before I switch anything on now.

Fingers crossed it's something simple that you'll spot and rectify - and not a fried chip.

Good luck

Andrew

I built the mod under the chip so I had quite a lot going on around those pins, I do check my work though - it's the only thing I can think of (yet) that could have upset it, for once I hadn't tweaked anything else at the same time!

I'll double check everything before writing it off!

Thanks, Josh.

Hi, voltages all look ok, -5v on p26, +5v on p28 and -15v on p15. Waves all look ok as well I think (see attached - filename denotes the pin). To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at here but everything seems present and correct(!).

Out of interest I popped the original non-a in for a test after checking all the voltages and I get no sound at all! This could be a result of me chopping and re-clocking everything though (I'm guessing).

I'm away for a couple of days this week but I'll do some more digging on my return - I'm not giving up on this yet - it sounded fantastic just before it died and I'd love to find out what I've done :)

Again, thanks for all your help with this, I'd still be putting up with mediocre sound if it wasn't for this forum!

Attachments

• pin1.JPG
    pin1.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 207
  • pin2.JPG
    pin2.JPG
    239.1 KB · Views: 205
  • pin3.JPG
    pin3.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 195
  • pin4.JPG
    pin4.JPG
    240.7 KB · Views: 193
Hi all,

After some more poking around with the scope it seems the signal present on pin3 above is constant, ie doesn't change when the CDP is 'playing'. However the data out (pin37 on the 7210) does, ie it jumps to the 'eye' pattern when you press play. hmmm - this leads me to think the problem lies in 7220, it's outputting a signal on the data line whether the CDP's playing or not.

Further investigation required!

Well - there we go, by messing around with something unrelated I managed to upset the SAA7220, who'd have thought it?

So....good opportunity to try NOS (no choice really, I haven't got a spare 7220!), it is very dead and won't even mute so I get a jump when playing the first tracks but I can live with that until I figure something out, it plays ok otherwise. (The 7220 is essentially out of the circuit now).

I also had a very distorted sound until I realised that the bit clock was still running at OS speed(!), it's now running at /4 and seems happy enough.

Too early to tell (and too long since I last heard the player) to decide if I prefer NOS, all I know is the player sounds very detailed and refined, there's not quite as much gain as I'd like from the output stage but apart from that - very happy!!!

ahh - I just found out the pause just makes it jump, no mute might get annoying after all!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.