Get Issues With Your Vintage Portable CD players? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2011, 05:49 AM   #1
kaosun is offline kaosun  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Get Issues With Your Vintage Portable CD players?

I have researched most of vintage portable cd players made by Sony, Panasonic, Philips, Denon, Aiwa, Citizen, Toshiba and Kenwood.
I will replay any technical question about the following models:
Sony: D50 D50MKII D55T D100 D150 D250 D350 D303 D555 D99 D90 D3 D2 D2T D66 D34 D33 D121
Panasonic: SL-XP7 XP5 XP3 S505 S900 S700 S470 S490
Philips: CD10 AZ6808 AZ6819 AZ6826 AZ6804 AZ6805
Denon: DCP50 DCP100 DCP150
Aiwa: XP50 XP66 XP77 XP6 XP7
Citizen: CBM1000 CMD3000
Toshiba: XR-P20 P21 P22
Kenwood: DPC-80 92 R7 7 77 92

Welcome any technical question!
Old 7th September 2011, 09:52 AM   #2
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

I have a Sony D-150 (US equivalent is D-15) that I adjusted carefully according to the service manual. But it is still very sensitive to shock: it skips when I knock it lightly. Someone recommended me to replace the spindle motor, what I did, but no improvement. The eye signal and the laser current is within tolerance. Is the shock sensitivity normal at this early model? My other question is the lead-acid battery BP2-EX (4V, 600mAh), is there any alternative for replacement?
Old 7th September 2011, 02:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshifis View Post
I have a Sony D-150 (US equivalent is D-15) that I adjusted carefully according to the service manual. But it is still very sensitive to shock: it skips when I knock it lightly. Someone recommended me to replace the spindle motor, what I did, but no improvement. The eye signal and the laser current is within tolerance. Is the shock sensitivity normal at this early model? My other question is the lead-acid battery BP2-EX (4V, 600mAh), is there any alternative for replacement?
Vintage cd players like D15 can tolerate a certain shock from outside. But only a little shock it can prevent. I think maybe you hope too much for it if your adjustment is correct. Motor should be replaced only when music track skips. In most situation replacing motor is unnecessary.
There is a solution about your dead battery. It can be replaced by a Li-On battery, uses same battery cartridge with the original battery. Common capacity is 4.2V 1000MA. Considering to its special demension, maybe it's hard for you to find one. If more than 10 batteries are needed, I'll consider to prepare a batch for you guys. Accordingly, charger circuit should be modified and maybe your transformer will be asked to check whether it will qualify for chargering a Li-on battery.
Old 11th September 2011, 02:28 AM   #4
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here, but Sony players are common enough at thrift stores and yard sales that the cheapest solution may be to swap the spindle/pickup assembly from another player. If the assemblies are the same shape, they probably interchange, so you can keep a rarer model (wired remote, digital out, backlit car model, whatever) going by sacrificing a more basic model.
Old 11th September 2011, 05:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Good suggestion! If they still contain some valuable components without aging.

Hide this!Advertise here!