Best capacitors for CD player - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th September 2011, 11:53 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best capacitors for CD player

Hello!

Which capacitors do you guys recommend to use in a CD player? I need 2200uf 25V 16mmx26 or 25mm capacitors. I found 16mmx25mm online but also found 16mmx35.5mm ones (at Mouser, no affil.) Are they going to make any difference in the sound quality if I use taller ones?
Thanks for any advice in advance.

Joseph

P.s.: the CD player is a CAL DX-2
Old 10th September 2011, 12:50 PM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Physically larger caps tend to have higher ripple current ratings (as a generalisation) which is no bad thing if they fit OK. Nothing worse than bodge jobs where parts don't fit and wires have been added etc.

Unless your caps are old/dried out or obviously fault then tbh you won't change the sound quality at all by just replacing them. Depending on the player there may be other possible modifications that will change the sound (for the better) such as careful substitution of opamps but even here care is needed as it's possible to run into problems such as stability issues.

If you are replacing caps then go for ones with low E.S.R. values and 105C temp ratings.
Old 12th September 2011, 07:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Mooly,

thank you for your reply. I ordered 10 caps from Mouser, they have 105C temp. ratings. After replacing the caps I'll report back.
Old 12th September 2011, 07:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Mooly,

thank you for your reply. I ordered 10 caps from Mouser with the same performance ratings and 105C temp. rating. After I replaced them I'll report back.
Old 14th September 2011, 10:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ok, I replaced 8 caps in my player on monday. The crackling noise disappeared, everything's back to normal. Do they need to break in? Will the sound change after let's say 50 hrs?
Old 15th September 2011, 11:33 AM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephSz View Post
Ok, I replaced 8 caps in my player on monday. The crackling noise disappeared, everything's back to normal. Do they need to break in? Will the sound change after let's say 50 hrs?
Hmmm... I'm the wrong one to ask on that

Lets just say that if you believe it will sound better after a break in then it will

Electroylitic caps being chemical in nature do change slightly in use but 99.9% of that occurs withing the first few seconds of use (from being on the shelf unused)

Resistors and semiconductors/IC's, wire etc don't change.

Speakers, being mechanical can and do change with use as the cone surround and suspension components can vary in their characteristics.
Old 15th September 2011, 08:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Mooly,

thanks for the reply. Then I will believe strongly the sound will get better. Certainly it doesn't lack of bass.
Cheers mate!
Old 16th September 2011, 07:31 AM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

That's good
Old 16th September 2011, 06:49 PM   #9
data is offline data  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephSz View Post
You can tell if they change after a time, and only you.
Some people don't hear the change, the reason they don't can be attributed to a few things...

This article presents one theory Are You a Sharpener or a Leveler? | Stereophile.com

Last edited by data; 16th September 2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 16th July 2012, 03:58 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

great post. i just had to do the same thing.this dx2 was making strange noises and i used nichicon same value.seems better. i have two left for what appears to be the analog section separate from the other 6.what did you use for caps and did you detect a change or breakin ?

niles

Hide this!Advertise here!