Zen -> Cen -> Sen, evolution of a minimalistic IV Converter - Page 51 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2011, 06:14 PM   #501
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUVL View Post
Jeremy,

> seems like win win

I have answered your request in the GB thread.
Please only post in one place as it is impossible for me to flip back and forth.
And other might get confused in the process.

Thanks,
Patrick
yeah sorry about that

as for the 2sk369-v i bought 4 quads matched tightly with all 16 falling within 0.2ma and all over 20ma.

for sure i'll let people know if all turns out kosher

Last edited by qusp; 5th December 2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 5th December 2011, 08:22 PM   #502
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
as for the 2sk369-v i bought 4 quads matched tightly with all 16 falling within 0.2ma and all over 20ma.
Who's selling?
Old 5th December 2011, 09:32 PM   #503
CeeVee is offline CeeVee  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
> what Idss should we aim for ?

As discussed in article, min 8mA.
PS I just sent off an enquiry for 200 pcs 2SK369V. See what happens ...

Patrick
Thanks Patrick
but when you suggested 2sk369 i thought you had something else in mind...

V grade is 14 to 30 mA that is why i asked .
Old 6th December 2011, 01:21 AM   #504
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

In the article, it was recommended to use in each SEN circuit a quad set of 2SK170BL with Idss 8mA. This was meant to be used with AD1865 which has output current of 2mA.

The article also recommend that you increase the bias if your DAC outputs more current, as e.g. in the case of ES9018. So just for the high current output alone (whether 9018 or else), you should choose the V grade (e.g. 2SK170V).

The reason to choose 2SK369V was to lower Zin (seems to be more critical for ES9018). 2SK369 has double the Yfs of 2SK170 and hence Zin can be halved, roughly.

Again, all described in the article.

Patrick
Old 6th December 2011, 01:24 AM   #505
diyAudio Member

> Who's selling?

Give me a couple of days.

If I can get some V grade at reasonable price, I'll get them matched to quads and make them available to the Vref subscribers.
I think you would need 4 sets of quads per 2 channels of balanced SEN.
So 200 pcs would supply 10 subscribers, assuming 25% matching rejects for quads.

But see if I can get them first ....

Patrick
Old 6th December 2011, 07:11 AM   #506
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicMac View Post
Who's selling?
here

i was able to get the set for 70aud, so cheaper than listed. not cheap, but well matched and i needed to get them on the way to help out. now of course Patrick will sell them for half that I took it as a reasonable deal considering the quality of the match and the relative difficulty finding them, but i'm sure i paid more than needed

Last edited by qusp; 6th December 2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 6th December 2011, 11:10 AM   #507
CeeVee is offline CeeVee  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
In the article, it was recommended to use in each SEN circuit a quad set of 2SK170BL with Idss 8mA. This was meant to be used with AD1865 which has output current of 2mA.

The article also recommend that you increase the bias if your DAC outputs more current, as e.g. in the case of ES9018. So just for the high current output alone (whether 9018 or else), you should choose the V grade (e.g. 2SK170V).

The reason to choose 2SK369V was to lower Zin (seems to be more critical for ES9018). 2SK369 has double the Yfs of 2SK170 and hence Zin can be halved, roughly.

Again, all described in the article.

Patrick
Thanks Patrick,

I do have the article ( book ) but should have read with more attetion i guess.

From the point of view of Yfs the 2sk372V is even better, it has triple typical vale of the s2k170V, it does however have half the power so this should be considered.

Last edited by CeeVee; 6th December 2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 8th December 2011, 09:56 PM   #508
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have been asked to publish a schematics of SEN in combination with the likes of ES9018, PCM1794, 1798, etc., as descrived in post #170.

Here you are. Hope this makes it clear.

Patrick
How would this circuit look like when the dac has balanced current output?
Will two CCS be needed (one for each phase) and if yes, may they share the same supply
The article in LA is great, but it does not describe how to mate the CEN/SEN with DAC's "featuring" current/voltage off-set. This is left to those "skilled in the art" and has been worked out after publication in this thread.
I'm afraid that I'm "skilled in other arts", so advice for dummies would be appreciated
Cheers,
Nic

P.S. The referred to circuit is shown in post #182 and described in post #170.
Thanks Patrick!
Old 9th December 2011, 10:49 PM   #509
diyAudio Member

> How would this circuit look like when the dac has balanced current output?

In this particular circuit, there is no interaction between the two sides of the balanced circuit.
So you just use each phase of the balanced output of one channel with a separate SEN.
i.e. You need one PCB for each balanced channel.

> Will two CCS be needed (one for each phase) and if yes, may they share the same supply

Yes.
And they absolutely may not share the same supply.
The supply swings together with the output signal.
So the supply of the positive output would be 180 out of phase with that for the negative output.
Or, 4x 9V batteries for each balanced channel.

Nic,

As I have already explained, I cannot posted a solution for a circuit that I have not tested.
I know how it should work, but someone has to test and report before you should build.
Jeremy has kindly promised to do.
So please be patent for a while and let him show you once he gets it going.

My apologies,
Patrick
Old 10th December 2011, 04:21 AM   #510
diyAudio Member

yeah sorry for the delay chaps, cant be helped while i wait for postage and my own business is pretty busy this time of year. i'll get on it when everything arrives. i got my DK order sent to a friend in the us to ship with other things and this caused longer than anticipated delay due to how busy he is at the moment. besides my 2sk369-v havent got hear yet either

Hide this!Advertise here!