Zen -> Cen -> Sen, evolution of a minimalistic IV Converter - Page 145 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th May 2013, 09:44 PM   #1441
orelli is offline orelli  Italy
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to orelli Send a message via MSN to orelli Send a message via Yahoo to orelli
Some photos.161.jpg

162.jpg

164.jpg
Old 6th May 2013, 04:21 AM   #1442
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

Patrick
Old 6th May 2013, 08:42 AM   #1443
diyAudio Member

Wonderful builds !!!

Just one question: I think I am missing something (I admit, I am not following much lately) but is this regulator floating ?

Thanks,

Davide
Old 6th May 2013, 11:03 AM   #1444
orelli is offline orelli  Italy
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to orelli Send a message via MSN to orelli Send a message via Yahoo to orelli
No, it's not floating. It become floating if you don't connect the 0 Volt terminal to the terminal ground of the system. Also a battery can be floating or not, if the 0 Volt is not connected or connected to the ground of the sistem.
Old 24th May 2013, 08:28 AM   #1445
kmajjo is offline kmajjo  France
diyAudio Member

Default Unbalanced-Balanced output

Hello,
Sorry for my stupid question , but i want to connect the Out+ and Out- of the ES9018 to a unbalanced input amplifier. I want to use SEN IV preamplifier , but in this post, it seems everybody use a balanced version of SEN IV, with two board by channel. Can i use SEN IV preamplifier in Unbalanced mode ? If YES , what are the connections between ES9018 outputs , ground and Unbalanced amplifier input.
Thanks for your help.
Br
Jacky
Old 24th May 2013, 09:33 AM   #1446
diyAudio Member

To maximise the benefit of balanced output of the ES9018 (for distortion cancellation), you should really use the 9018 / SEN IV as balanced.
If you wish to feed this to a single ended amplifier, you need a balanced to single-ended converter, such as the XCEN.
The XCEN -- Balanced to Single Ended Converter

But over here there are a lot of discussions about using a single phase of the 9018.
The art of Sen - pink fish media

I have not been following this for months now, but you might find some interesting information there.
Or join their discussion ....

Patrick
Old 25th May 2013, 03:37 PM   #1447
boudy is offline boudy  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmajjo View Post
Hello,
Sorry for my stupid question , but i want to connect the Out+ and Out- of the ES9018 to a unbalanced input amplifier. I want to use SEN IV preamplifier , but in this post, it seems everybody use a balanced version of SEN IV, with two board by channel. Can i use SEN IV preamplifier in Unbalanced mode ? If YES , what are the connections between ES9018 outputs , ground and Unbalanced amplifier input.
Thanks for your help.
Br
Jacky
I found using a Jensen jt-11p-1 works great for balanced to unbalanced conversion after the I/V stage (I installed it in my amp).
Old 25th May 2013, 03:51 PM   #1448
diyAudio Member

Default Mains power supply

I've read through most of this thread, and I can't see that anyone has yet built Joachim's proposed power supply (on page 46),
but I see that more recently the Salas shunt reg is recommended.

I do have some Salas PCB's on my shelf (intended for another project) ... but would either of these two eBay mosfet regulators be good enough for the SEN -
High Speed LOW Noise Mosfet Power Supply Regulator KIT | eBay
High Quality Mosfet DC Regulated Power Supply PCB | eBay

The main difference between these eBay regs compared to the Salas is the absence of a CCS front end, am I right?
Is the CCS/shunt aspect critical to keeping the noise low?
Old 25th May 2013, 04:53 PM   #1449
diyAudio Member

Shouldn't it be more appropriate to ask the question at the Salas Shunt Reg thread ?

Patrick
Old 25th May 2013, 10:03 PM   #1450
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boudy View Post
I found using a Jensen jt-11p-1 works great for balanced to unbalanced conversion after the I/V stage (I installed it in my amp).
I did the same with Lundahl 1540's at the input of the power amp with very good results. the specs of the Jensen make it look slightly better for the job.

John

Hide this!Advertise here!