Zen -> Cen -> Sen, evolution of a minimalistic IV Converter - Page 130 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2013, 11:39 AM   #1291
needsp is offline needsp  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi RollE2K

IMO (if I'm wrong, I'm sure Patrick will correct me) common mode noise on the mains is our enemy here. The regulators you propose, and those Nic used, are guard against differential noise only. Common mode noise will sail straight through them and develop as a voltage selectively across the IV resistors in SEN.

Mains transformers with non overlaid primary and secondary windings- such as R cores- will help, but perhaps not enough?

Nic- congratulations on the F5X!

Best

Paul
Old 6th February 2013, 04:43 PM   #1292
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by needsp View Post
Hi RollE2K

IMO (if I'm wrong, I'm sure Patrick will correct me) common mode noise on the mains is our enemy here. The regulators you propose, and those Nic used, are guard against differential noise only. Common mode noise will sail straight through them and develop as a voltage selectively across the IV resistors in SEN.

Mains transformers with non overlaid primary and secondary windings- such as R cores- will help, but perhaps not enough?

Nic- congratulations on the F5X!

Best

Paul
I believe you are correct. In fact most of these circuits are relatively insensitive to differential noise, and the cascoded ones even less sensitive. Common mode is tough. A given very-high-quality common-mode choke is effective over a given frequency range. A cascade of them with different coverages may be adequate. It depends on your mains and environment. But by the time you've gotten it all to work adequately, the inconvenience of batteries may start to look like a relatively minor concern.
Old 6th February 2013, 05:00 PM   #1293
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
But by the time you've gotten it all to work adequately, the inconvenience of batteries may start to look like a relatively minor concern.
Yes - and apparently this is learned the best way by personal experience.
Old 6th February 2013, 05:34 PM   #1294
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

Or just take Patrick's word.

But I am glad that you didn't, and learned "the hard way".
You'll then never forget.

Patrick
Old 6th February 2013, 06:51 PM   #1295
RollE2k is offline RollE2k  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Thanks alot for the answer guys.. So choke-filtering seems to be the first thing to try then.
NicMac: did you use any kind of common mode choke, or did you just use plain linear or a shunt-regulator for it?
Old 7th February 2013, 06:51 AM   #1296
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollE2k View Post
Thanks alot for the answer guys.. So choke-filtering seems to be the first thing to try then.
If anything batteries would be the first to try

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollE2k View Post
NicMac: did you use any kind of common mode choke, or did you just use plain linear or a shunt-regulator for it?
Yes - there were in fact common mode chokes in the regs I tried.
Old 7th February 2013, 10:08 AM   #1297
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Somewhere in this thread there are some suggestions for common-mode chokes --- I don't have time to sift through and find them right now. I obtained some but didn't get round to trying them. However the choice(s) will depend a lot on your particular EM environment.
Old 7th February 2013, 10:11 AM   #1298
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

> Somewhere in this thread there are some suggestions for common-mode chokes

Floating PSU schematics by Joachim.

Patrick
Old 7th February 2013, 10:25 AM   #1299
massimo is offline massimo  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
Somewhere in this thread there are some suggestions for common-mode chokes
IIRC Telema CAF 0,6-100 (easily available in Germany) or Panasonic PLK1273-ND (digikey p/n)
Old 7th February 2013, 11:28 AM   #1300
RollE2k is offline RollE2k  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Brand probably doesn't matter, i was looking at some other branded 100mH Common mode chokes, 350mA.
Also, today i have made an order for a custom made R-core with outer shield, plus shielding between primary/secondary. 4x 0-18v secondaries with extra insulation between each winding. To this i will probably build the regs above i think. But this will certainly be a while before i'm finished, since i lack alot of other things before. Will order the DAC itself first next month.

Last edited by RollE2k; 7th February 2013 at 11:36 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!