Zen -> Cen -> Sen, evolution of a minimalistic IV Converter - Page 101 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2012, 11:44 PM   #1001
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

> I thought it about time I had a play with your wonderful evaluation pack but am unsure of how / where to procure.

Go to the xen audio website. Download the service request form (excel), and send it to us.

xen-audio

Patrick
Old 17th July 2012, 08:01 AM   #1002
Bemused is offline Bemused  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUVL View Post
> I thought it about time I had a play with your wonderful evaluation pack but am unsure of how / where to procure.

Go to the xen audio website. Download the service request form (excel), and send it to us.

xen-audio

Patrick
Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 08:19 AM   #1003
diyAudio Member

You are welcome.

Please note that :

a) There is now an offer for just the SEN V18 only, and not CEN/SEN V18 combined.
b) The CEN/SEN V18 is of course still available.
c) The JFET set is optimised for the SEN V18 circuit and hence may not be perfect quads in that sense.

I would encourage those who have the CEN V18 to try it out.
It is not a single ended but push-pull circuit, so will have less even harmonics, especially if you are not using both balanced outputs of the DAC.

Patrick
Old 17th July 2012, 08:33 AM   #1004
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

Patrick,

Would CEN V18 with matched SK170/SJ74 be a drop in replacement for the SEN in the implementation we are currently using with the ES9018. In that case trying would be absolutely painless.

Cheers,

Nic
Old 17th July 2012, 01:04 PM   #1005
diyAudio Member

If you use 4 pairs of 2SK170BL/2SJ74BL (8 FETs) per PCB (one balanced channel), it will be a direct drop-in replacement.
As a bonus you half the DC current consumption.

It has never been a pain with any of our projects, has it ?
Your only "pain" is to get P-N matched 2SK170/2SJ74 pairs.
And you need different heatsinks as in SEN, of course.

Patrick

Last edited by EUVL; 17th July 2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 17th July 2012, 09:36 PM   #1006
diyAudio Member

Patrick the Sen only package is suddenly a very attractive deal but I have to admit to getting a little confused with V18, SE, push-pull, there is now a new variant?.

There are a bunch (seven and rising) of us over in pinkfish with Buffalo-II and -III in Stereo mode, dual mono mode (two Buffalos one Legato 8 dacs per channel, converter are 4mA each in balanced mode )
The dual mono can easily be reduced in the number of converters per channel, one through eight..

We all have SE equipment

Could you perhaps find time to do a summery for requirements suitable to our application and bearing in mind we are very amateur guys and often, well almost always struggle to get there.

Many thanks
Tony

Last edited by Bemused; 17th July 2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 17th July 2012, 09:47 PM   #1007
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

I think I will soon have the raw material to do my own matching and picking of SJ74 so there should be no problem also trying out the CEN I already have the CEN PCBs and sinks from the evaluation pack so that will not be a problem.
I remember Davide reporting that both the SEN and CEN were very good - and very different, but that was not with the ES9018.

Having the choice should I pick pairs with as high Idss as possible?

Can't wait to hear both of them them with the F5X.

Cheers,

Nic
Old 18th July 2012, 05:45 AM   #1008
diyAudio Member

> Having the choice should I pick pairs with as high Idss as possible?

Yes.

Patrick
Old 18th July 2012, 05:55 AM   #1009
diyAudio Member

> I have to admit to getting a little confused with V18, SE, push-pull, there is now a new variant?

If you take some time to read through the original GB thread for the SEN/ CEN IV Eval kit, you will know that the original design was for PCM1704 and the like. To satisfy public demand for a circuit to suit the ES9018 we designed and released a V18 later. 18 is chosen (alias 9018) such that we have enough numbers in between to update the PCM1704 boards. There have always been the CEN and the SEN variants since day one. Paul has already tried to explain to you on the other forum. Please read the article for more details. Another good basic reference is JFET Frontiers Part 1&2 by Erno Borbely. There might be pdf archives on the net. Please search.

The ES9018 has balanced output. But no one stops you from using one phase of the output for SE equipment only. If you want to use both phase of the output, then you need to do BAL->SE conversion. Paul used a transformer, which is one way. A semiconductor solution is probably more complicated (unless you are willing to have caps in the signal path). Each solution has its own sonic signature. So all a matter of taste.

If you find this difficult, then maybe one of you should just try to copy and paste what Nic or Paul has, before you start building 10's of these.
Or you wait fr our 9018 integrated solution.

Patrick

Last edited by EUVL; 18th July 2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old 18th July 2012, 09:04 AM   #1010
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your patience Patrick, I think the penny has dropped.
Waiting for 9018 integrated solution seems ideal, I assume the integrated solution architecture is still in design stage so may be Cen or Sen based, and balanced output or would you consider including a semiconductor balanced to single ended conversion on the end.

Tony

Hide this!Advertise here!