diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Digital Source (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/)
-   -   Would you buy a refurbished CD player ? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/194437-would-you-buy-refurbished-cd-player.html)

Fivetide 11th August 2011 04:34 PM

Would you buy a refurbished CD player ?

I don’t really know much about CD players so I just had a net trawl for CD reviews, my budgets not huge massive audiophile big , but I always have this idea that I could always try a bit of DIY to improve it or tweak to my listening preferences later on.
My budgets around 300 , and I’m not against buying a 4 year player that had good reviews that cost 700, in my opinion the amps and speakers make a bigger difference.. ,like I said thats my opinion lol.
Anyway I saw the Marantz CD6003 had very good reviews on various sites and thought I’d ebay it, I see that they have 4 of them at 199 + 18 pp so thats around a third off rrp. But they are refurbished, they have a 12 month warranty and the seller has good feedback, would anyone else be tempted ?

adason 11th August 2011 05:05 PM

speakers certainly make the biggest difference when it coms to the sound...followed by the sources and amps, whatever the order you preffer
you can buy good older cd player and perform lampization, you can be amazed how good the sound gets
I did it to the 15y old technics...sounds amazing
however, my more serious cd player is cambridge audio azur 740...with dual wolfson, check those out too
Cambridge Audio Azur 640C ALmpizator

Fivetide 11th August 2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adason (Post 2668370)
speakers certainly make the biggest difference when it coms to the sound...followed by the sources and amps, whatever the order you preffer
you can buy good older cd player and perform lampization, you can be amazed how good the sound gets
I did it to the 15y old technics...sounds amazing
however, my more serious cd player is cambridge audio azur 740...with dual wolfson, check those out too
Cambridge Audio Azur 640C ALmpizator

Wow that looks awesome, ever seen a tube CD .. I am very very tempted .. thanks for the heads up..

lduarte1973 11th August 2011 06:50 PM

i have a cambridge audio 740C and its one of the best , if not the best cd player you can buy at its price . However if you have the knowledge to do or can buy the lampizator version ,the 640C will be enough.the main difference between the two models is the output stage , if you "lampizate" the player then the least expensive is what you should get. i use my 740 with a tube preamp and it makes all the difference.

Fivetide 11th August 2011 08:18 PM

Just seen a built one on ebay Link

lduarte1973 11th August 2011 09:27 PM

if you by this one and replace the clock of the cd player that will be the last upgrade you will ever need.

nigelwright7557 11th August 2011 09:31 PM

It depends what refurbished means.
If its new laser etc then great, but if its a wipe with a damp cloth then I would keep well away.

I have had bad experiences with so called "hardly used" cd players, none have lasted long. I guess thats down to the dishonesty of the sellers.
I stick to new players now and sell them after a year or so.

lduarte1973 11th August 2011 09:34 PM

this one on ebay were talking about has a 3 year warranty from a shop in England

nigelwright7557 11th August 2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lduarte1973 (Post 2668704)
this one on ebay were talking about has a 3 year warranty from a shop in England

Sounds like a good deal then.

lduarte1973 11th August 2011 09:43 PM

id take it if i didnt have the 740 already ;)