Would you buy a refurbished CD player ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2011, 10:09 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Im very tempted the only downside is that it is silver

Last edited by Fivetide; 11th August 2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12th August 2011, 12:25 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivetide View Post
would anyone else be tempted ?
No way! Buy a cheap DVD player with digital out and spend the money on an SPDIF DAC. With your budget you'll be able to afford a choice of DACs.
Old 30th December 2011, 08:37 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
No way! Buy a cheap DVD player with digital out and spend the money on an SPDIF DAC. With your budget you'll be able to afford a choice of DACs.
I went for the Cheap CD / DAC , I bought the 640c V2 and will be hooking it up to my DACMagic tonight via the SPIF

Its works out well the DM (RCA)-> to Amp --- HTPC -> DM --- 6.1 passthrough to AVR. So I get the DM passing on 3 sources..
Old 30th December 2011, 09:16 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Question info.

Ask them some details about the valve circuit the use & a photo of the internal.
What are the triode valves ? do they use ecc83 ? ecc88 ? There are good & bad circuits out there. Also the brand of the tubes is very important.
Looks interesting though, 3years warranty, that's nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivetide View Post
Just seen a built one on ebay Link
Old 30th December 2011, 09:21 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

why not go for a decent DAC and deliver the software via a PC using the WAV or FLAC file format, I recently went that route and must say that my heavily modded Marantz has been powered off (likely permanently, and I was only using it as a Turntable lately).

300 into a DAC will likely get you more bang for the buck than a DAC built into a CD player.
Old 30th December 2011, 09:40 AM   #16
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Interesting thread!

I've been buying and selling players for a while. I'm not sure why it's considered a bad idea by some. Provided the advert is well written with lots of detail, you know what you are getting. The marantz cd63 cd67 6000 etc have a cult following and are cheap enough. If you fancy a poke about with a soldering iron, they can be made to sound more like something that cost 10x what you paid. Put it this way, I started with the budget to buy a musical fidelity A5.5 several years ago. I now have several modded players that would wipe the floor of what was a £2000 player.

Its horses for courses but I sure don't understand the snobbishness of never buying 2nd hand........either they've never tried or have too much
money to care!!!
Old 30th December 2011, 11:11 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I got a bargain with a ebay Arcam 250 AVR ( sold as seen parts - repairs etc), paid more for the delivery lol , got out my volt meter found a nasty split cap - replaced it and it sounds sweet .. Its my next project to revamp it and use it as my 7.1 reciever.. whay pay 2.5k for a P777 etc when you can mod a £50 DOD for a £100 and your probs 92% near.. well I think so anyway plus its fun learning and you always have lots of spare bits to cobble together for experiments
Old 30th December 2011, 06:47 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hooked up the 640 c .. awesome .. love it ! I put it direct via RCA's first.. sounded fine listened to a whole album, then chained it to the DAC via SPIF .. man its sounded even better.. so much clearer ..downside is it didnt come with a changer and my CA amp changer wont work .. strange because the AMP changer worked on the Marantz CD player.. go figure eh ? going to sort out a universal changer tomoz .. they seem to be breeding

Hide this!Advertise here!