Would you buy a refurbished CD player ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don’t really know much about CD players so I just had a net trawl for CD reviews, my budgets not huge massive audiophile big , but I always have this idea that I could always try a bit of DIY to improve it or tweak to my listening preferences later on.
My budgets around £300 , and I’m not against buying a 4 year player that had good reviews that cost £700, in my opinion the amps and speakers make a bigger difference.. ,like I said thats my opinion lol.
Anyway I saw the Marantz CD6003 had very good reviews on various sites and thought I’d ebay it, I see that they have 4 of them at £199 + £18 pp so thats around a third off rrp. But they are refurbished, they have a 12 month warranty and the seller has good feedback, would anyone else be tempted ?

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
speakers certainly make the biggest difference when it coms to the sound...followed by the sources and amps, whatever the order you preffer
you can buy good older cd player and perform lampization, you can be amazed how good the sound gets
I did it to the 15y old technics...sounds amazing
however, my more serious cd player is cambridge audio azur 740...with dual wolfson, check those out too
Cambridge Audio Azur 640C ALmpizator

speakers certainly make the biggest difference when it coms to the sound...followed by the sources and amps, whatever the order you preffer
you can buy good older cd player and perform lampization, you can be amazed how good the sound gets
I did it to the 15y old technics...sounds amazing
however, my more serious cd player is cambridge audio azur 740...with dual wolfson, check those out too
Cambridge Audio Azur 640C ALmpizator

Wow that looks awesome, ever seen a tube CD .. I am very very tempted .. thanks for the heads up..

i have a cambridge audio 740C and it´s one of the best , if not the best cd player you can buy at it´s price . However if you have the knowledge to do or can buy the lampizator version ,the 640C will be enough.the main difference between the two models is the output stage , if you "lampizate" the player then the least expensive is what you should get. i use my 740 with a tube preamp and it makes all the difference.

No way! Buy a cheap DVD player with digital out and spend the money on an SPDIF DAC. With your budget you'll be able to afford a choice of DACs.

I went for the Cheap CD / DAC , I bought the 640c V2 and will be hooking it up to my DACMagic tonight via the SPIF

Its works out well the DM (RCA)-> to Amp --- HTPC -> DM --- 6.1 passthrough to AVR. So I get the DM passing on 3 sources.. :)

why not go for a decent DAC and deliver the software via a PC using the WAV or FLAC file format, I recently went that route and must say that my heavily modded Marantz has been powered off (likely permanently, and I was only using it as a Turntable lately).

300 into a DAC will likely get you more bang for the buck than a DAC built into a CD player.

Interesting thread!

I've been buying and selling players for a while. I'm not sure why it's considered a bad idea by some. Provided the advert is well written with lots of detail, you know what you are getting. The marantz cd63 cd67 6000 etc have a cult following and are cheap enough. If you fancy a poke about with a soldering iron, they can be made to sound more like something that cost 10x what you paid. Put it this way, I started with the budget to buy a musical fidelity A5.5 several years ago. I now have several modded players that would wipe the floor of what was a £2000 player.

Its horses for courses but I sure don't understand the snobbishness of never buying 2nd hand........either they've never tried or have too much
money to care!!! ;)

I got a bargain with a ebay Arcam 250 AVR ( sold as seen parts - repairs etc), paid more for the delivery lol , got out my volt meter found a nasty split cap - replaced it and it sounds sweet .. Its my next project to revamp it and use it as my 7.1 reciever.. whay pay 2.5k for a P777 etc when you can mod a £50 DOD for a £100 and your probs 92% near.. well I think so anyway plus its fun learning and you always have lots of spare bits to cobble together for experiments :)

Hooked up the 640 c .. awesome .. love it ! I put it direct via RCA's first.. sounded fine listened to a whole album, then chained it to the DAC via SPIF .. man its sounded even better.. so much clearer ..downside is it didnt come with a changer and my CA amp changer wont work .. strange because the AMP changer worked on the Marantz CD player.. go figure eh ? going to sort out a universal changer tomoz .. they seem to be breeding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.