Need help with Mp3 player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I've started DIY a few month ago built the speakers (MarkAudio Pencil P70), the amp (TA2020 MKIII from Helder HIFI), now it's time for the source and I'm between the (ebay) mp3 players from along1986090 and Helder Hifi, can anyone help me?
Another question I have is if should connect the mp3 player directly to the amp (as they have volume control) or should I include a pre-amp?

TQ
Jorge

MP3 ?

Why mp3 ?...... Some like that format, but mp3 is for consumers not DIYers.....Files are compression-loss designed for smaller file size and cheaper server storage scarificing audio quality....

The only real and best choice for file format is flac (full-lossless-audio-codec)....memory is so cheap now, any PC or media player and now most cell phones will play flac files..... with the right software player (I use VLC Player on my PC)......And CD's can be ripped to cd-quality flac files...
...MP3 Sucks !

Maybe you know all this, but if not read up on attached links......The CNET link shows 133 mp3 players that will also play flac....But don't spend money on a mp3 only player...

I'll gladly answer more questions.....but read up first or try to convince me why you want mp3 (LOL)
The flac link has a hardware section.....too many choices to mention...

FLAC - Free Lossless Audio Codec
FLAC MP3 players - CNET Reviews
Free Lossless Audio Codec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!

Charles

but mp3 is for consumers not DIYers
Yea, yea. I see this sentiment expressed often here. Let's back up a bit. Convince me why diy must mean peer-approved ultra fidelity. While I wouldn't ever want to live off mp3, I don't see (or hear) a problem "serving" it as part of the audio buffet. Not trolling for a ruckus, just offering an alternative perspective.

Hi,

I have all (>90%) my cd collection in FLAC and MP3, I have a Sansa Clip+ that plays FLAC.
Until now I have tested, as sources, the Sansa (FLAC and MP3) a Nokia 5220 express music (MP3) a sony/ericson w350i (MP3) and my old Pioneer PD-S802 (cd) and the conclusion is... (I have a problems with my 54 years old ears and brain!!):
Pioneer - best sound but i don't want to go back on CDs (AND I REFUSE TO SPEAK ABOUT VINIL!!!)
Nokia - the sound is too "nice" for me, seems a little artificial .
Sansa Clip - The sound is natural but it lacks body in the bass and in large orchestral works, also it stays a little bit "inside" the speakers (I can not ear a significant difference between FLAC and MP3 lame fast extreme).
Sony/Ericson - the one I'm using...
Of course the mobile phones and mp3 seem to don't have enough output voltage and the Pioneer without a volume control plays to loud.
What would be my preferred alternative Logitech Squeezebox touch for 40€.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.