Rega Planet 2000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Rega planet 2000 has not been working for quite some time and recently I changed the pick-up to the sony kss 213c. I have also changed the 4 units of 1n4003 to 1n4004 as mentioned in post 5 of http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/128300-rega-planet-power-out.html.

The problem remains and this is the problem:

1) The player does spin the cd when a cd is put into the tray and the lid closed. The front panel instruction reads "no disc' when I push the play button.

I have sent it out for repair before this and the repairman said there was nothing wrong with the motor but he wouldn't figured out what was wrong. Does anyone know of this problem?

Thanks

Attached are some photos of the lid's switch and connection to the lid.

Attachments

• 2011-08-10 20.44.44.jpg
    2011-08-10 20.44.44.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 384
  • 2011-08-10 20.45.32.jpg
    2011-08-10 20.45.32.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 445
  • 2011-08-10 20.45.49.jpg
    2011-08-10 20.45.49.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
My Rega planet 2000 has not been working for quite some time and recently I changed the pick-up to the sony kss 213c. I have also changed the 4 units of 1n4003 to 1n4004 as mentioned in post 5 of http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/128300-rega-planet-power-out.html.

The problem remains and this is the problem:

1) The player does spin the cd when a cd is put into the tray and the lid closed. The front panel instruction reads "no disc' when I push the play button.

I have sent it out for repair before this and the repairman said there was nothing wrong with the motor but he wouldn't figured out what was wrong. Does anyone know of this problem? Thanks

I don't understand this term:
"when a cd is put into the tray"
As I know, the Rega Planet is a top loader without a tray, so you must close the lid with your hand to get the same funktion than by usual cd players with trays and "Tray-In" resp. "Tray-closed" mode.
So I assume, you mean "when a cd is put on the turntable (pulley) of the spindle motor"
Because the player does spin the cd for read-in try for the TOC, laser light is present and the FOK signal goes out to the MCU.
Now the question is follow:
How looks the RF signal while the CD does rotate?
Try to get datasheets of the RF-IC, the PCM-decoder (perhaps CXD2500Q) so as the servo processor (all placed on the integrated PCB of mechanism KSM213CCM successor) for finding the appropriate checkpoint "RFO" resp. "RF-out"
Check also the flex connector (white flat ribbon cable) from main PCB to mechanism so as the data bus signals of the Subcode datas to the MCU.
The best solution is a second player of the same model for exchange all the devices for clearly isolating the error causing devices so as the compare of the measuring results while rotating of the compact disc. If the optical pickup is new, the most likely reason is the flex connector and the PCM decoder PCB inside of the mechanism.
Check the attached images so as additional pics about this URLs:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/87937-upgrading-rega-planet-2000-pictures.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/30719-change-opamp-rega-planet-2000-a.html

BTW - I am looking arround for a datasheet of the LA9216 - who knows a download aera (LA9215 isn't a problem) ??

Attachments

• Rega Planet 2000 top CD aera lid open-II.jpg
    Rega Planet 2000 top CD aera lid open-II.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 449
  • Rega Planet 2000 top view.jpg
    Rega Planet 2000 top view.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 357
  • Rega Planet 2000 front.jpg
    Rega Planet 2000 front.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 391
  • Rega Planet 2000 KSM213CCM + decoder PCB.jpg
    Rega Planet 2000 KSM213CCM + decoder PCB.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 387
  • Rega Planet 2000 KSS213C mechanism - BA6392FP.jpg
    Rega Planet 2000 KSS213C mechanism - BA6392FP.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 385
  • Rega Planet 2000 KSS213C mechanism.jpg
    Rega Planet 2000 KSS213C mechanism.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 252
  • Rega Planet 2000 Main PCB component site.jpg
    Rega Planet 2000 Main PCB component site.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 269
  • Rega Planet 2000 DAC output filter.jpg
    Rega Planet 2000 DAC output filter.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 418
  • REGA Planet 2000 DAC WM8716 .jpg
    REGA Planet 2000 DAC WM8716 .jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 298
  • Rega Planet 2000 Main PCB solder site.jpg
    Rega Planet 2000 Main PCB solder site.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
So I assume, you mean "when a cd is put on the turntable (pulley) of the spindle motor"

Because the player does spin the cd for read-in try for the TOC, laser light is present and the FOK signal goes out to the MCU.

BTW - I am looking arround for a datasheet of the LA9216 - who knows a download aera (LA9215 isn't a problem) ??

1) That's right, the cd is put on the turntable.
2) Sorry, the player does NOT spin the cd. I made the correction in later post.
3) I can't find the IC LA9216 locally.

Thanks.

1) That's right, the cd is put on the turntable.
2) Sorry, the player does NOT spin the cd. I made the correction in later post.
Thanks.
This I have overlooked. What happens exactly by the laser lens, when you close the lid without a CD ??
Actually follow things must happen (to find of various flow charts by service manuals):
1) laser light goes on (controlled by the APC circuit, mostly integrated on the RF-amplifier IC).
2) laser lens goes up and down several times at the same time (to create the FOK signal).
If one of this both things troubled, the disk don't start to rotate.

To check this carefully, remove the lid resp. the completly cover and use the swich separately, that is coupled with the lid.

BTW - you need two service-Manuals:
1) that one of the Rega main and front PCB
2) that one of a Sony CD Player, by which the same mechanism and PCM-decoder PCB is in use.
To find out the associated SONY model, search about "Google" with the IC types, use by PCM decoder in various spellings
(e. g. CXD2585Q, "CXD 2585 Q", "CXD2585 Q", "CXD 2585Q", possibly together with the keyword "Service Manual").
Try to get this Sony model as used device - then you have a second mechanism with the same PCM decoder PCB for exchange.
What about the connection quality of the ribbon cables (see image number 4) ??

Last edited:
This I have overlooked. What happens exactly by the laser lens, when you close the lid without a CD ??
Actually follow things must happen (to find of various flow charts by service manuals):
1) laser light goes on (controlled by the APC circuit, mostly integrated on the RF-amplifier IC).
2) laser lens goes up and down several times at the same time (to create the FOK signal).
If one of this both things troubled, the disk don't start to rotate.

3)What about the connection quality of the ribbon cables (see image number 4) ??

1) Nothing happens when the lid is closed.
2) As answer above (1).
3) The ribbon cable is new as I replaced the old one.

The front panel display reads 'no disc' when I pressed the play button. If I do not pressed any of the buttons, it will still display 'no disc' after several seconds.

Thanks.

1) Nothing happens when the lid is closed.
2) As answer above (1).
3) The ribbon cable is new as I replaced the old one.
The front panel display reads 'no disc' when I pressed the play button. If I do not pressed any of the buttons, it will still display 'no disc' after several seconds.
The sony cdp ca-70es uses the exact board, ie. the Sony BD-25 board.
Thanks.
If the lens doesn't goes up and down, the focus buffer amp and/or the focus servo front-end don't work (or the connection between focus buffer and the focus coil in the laser head is faulty).
Perhaps the manuals about the follow links are helpful for you - compare the IC types to that one in your Rega Planet 2000:
http://ftp.qrz.ru/pub/hamradio/schemes/audio/sony/CDP-XB930_CDP-XB930E.pdf
ftp://cataslabs.servehttp.com/Elect...teme Audio/COMBINE/SONY/CDPXB820/CDPXB820.pdf

If the lens doesn't goes up and down, the focus buffer amp and/or the focus servo front-end don't work (or the connection between focus buffer and the focus coil in the laser head is faulty).
Perhaps the manuals about the follow links are helpful for you - compare the IC types to that one in your Rega Planet 2000:

Hi, thanks again.

I am not very sure which is the focus servo and the focus buffer. I think the Sony CDP CA70ES's board is the exact Planet's board. It is the cdm271. It is also used in the SonyCDP CA80ES. Below is the link:

http://ftp.qrz.ru/pub/hamradio/schemes/audio/sony/CDP-CA70ES.pdf

Is it possible to get one?

Hi, thanks again.

I am not very sure which is the focus servo and the focus buffer. I think the Sony CDP CA70ES's board is the exact Planet's board. It is the cdm271. It is also used in the SonyCDP CA80ES. Below is the link:

http://ftp.qrz.ru/pub/hamradio/schemes/audio/sony/CDP-CA70ES.pdf

Is it possible to get one?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.