pioneer pd-s 703

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Raja,

the base for a nice cd player is given with these. At least as a transport they can be made to perform very good.

I´ve got a PD-S601(modified) and a PD-S507(standard).

The 601 was modified by changing almost all of the caps to panasonic fc, clock to kwak clock (mkII I think) and AD825 / OPA627AU. Sounds nice but not really good. Connecting it to an unmodified Perpetual Technologies P3-A made everything a lot better.

Since it developed a slight problem with reading discs that adjusting only cured for a few weeks I bought an almost new PD-S507 at EBAY for 65€.

Unmodified this sounds rather nasty with little bass and anoying highs. Connected to the P3-A (optical) it was ok.

For the 507 www.hoerwege.de sells a kit consisting of extra trafo, fast diodes,caps, cinch digital out print, bitumen for damping and new opamps for 260€ and they claim that this will give you a very good transport and a decent cd-player (clock is strongly advised). They also sell kits for the PD-S7xx . I will order this soon and can report back as soon as I know more.

william

I've had a 707 for a couple of years. It isn't a bad player, but certainly not great though it is much better built and sounding than many of the budget players. Trichord used to sell a clocked and teaked version of this player, and IIRC, it was well reveiwed. A small dealer I know also used to recommend tweaking them with different caps/opamps/clock etc. Mine is now in my bedroom system, so I'm going to leave it alone and try to get a decade's service from it. I used to have one of the earlier Krell players and the 707 was not embarrassed by it.

Yesterday I bought a Sony midrange DVD player and it sounds a lot better than the Pioneer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.