Which Capacitors for power supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some people say that capacitors in a power supply section of a cd player make very strong impact on sound quality. So, I am going to replace those in my NAD C545BEE.
I would like to know which smoothing capacitors should I use in PS for digital and which for analog part? I am asking specifically for capacitor type eg. Panasonic FM, FC, Rubycon YXF, Nichicon KMG.... not for capacitance/voltage value as am going to use same values as original caps. Which of those produce good sound in PS section of a CD player?
Thank You.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Some people say that capacitors in a power supply section of a cd player make very strong impact on sound quality.
I am asking specifically for capacitor type eg. Panasonic FM, FC, Rubycon YXF, Nichicon KMG.... not for capacitance/voltage value as am going to use same values as original caps.

I've used with good results Nichicon FW, Vishay BC038, sometimes Panasonic FC (digital), Cerafine, Simic II but on voltage ratings you should reconsider.

Also important is the position (pre or post regulators), in fact you shouldn't use low ESR caps after regulators...

Most caps sounds really good only in the higher voltage rating versions, if you read the datasheets you can see that Dissipation Factor often is much better on higher voltages...

Thank you Clave,
yes I know that position of caps is important (pre or post regulators) but I plan to change just the pre ones, they are usualy bigger (higher capacitance) than post-regulator caps. And maybe those pre caps shouldn't be low ESR also?

As I can see, original ones are just standard typs (general purpose) with differant capacitance ratings. But not from the same manufacturer!!

I've used with good results Nichicon FW, Vishay BC038, sometimes Panasonic FC (digital), Cerafine, Simic II but on voltage ratings you should reconsider.

Also important is the position (pre or post regulators), in fact you shouldn't use low ESR caps after regulators...

Most caps sounds really good only in the higher voltage rating versions, if you read the datasheets you can see that Dissipation Factor often is much better on higher voltages...

Hi Clave.

What type would you recommend for after a regulator? All caps seem to be low ESR these days :confused:

- John

Joined 2005
Paid Member
What type would you recommend for after a regulator? All caps seem to be low ESR these days :confused:

Quite all audio rated caps are not low ESR...

Silmics, Cerafines, Blackgates (if you can find them) are the best after regs but you should try all of them for best results...Cerafines sometimes can be a bit harsh but when they're not they sound gorgeous.

For digital circuits after regs BC038 are very good and cheap.

A cheap and no problem cap is FW, not the best but it sounds good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.