Android based mobile phones as portable music player. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th July 2011, 10:51 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Android based mobile phones as portable music player.

Hello everyone. My old portable music player broke so i tried the music player on my Samsung Galaxy S. The audio specs of the phone are quite good : Samsung I9000 Galaxy S review: From outer space - GSMArena.com

However, i simply cannot use this phone as a music player.
The sound is awful. There is no dynamic range and the overall sound is very harsh, without details in the treble. The EQ cannot be used because it is a software EQ and it clips the DAC.

Another problem are the pops ( resembling the vinyl pops ) during playback. I imagine the audio decoding process doesnt have enough priority and some frames are skipped.

Are there any other people here sharing the same problem ?

Can anybody recommend a better player app?
Old 16th August 2011, 05:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Crappy software

I had the same problem with my Galaxy S about a year ago. I don't know if it has been solved by the community by now. But the problem is software related. The phone applies an equalizer whenever it detects a specific impedance in the headphone jack. Try connecting your phone to an amplifier and see if the problem persists.

There where some people working on this problem back then, but i sold my phone before any solution came to be. It might possible now, i read about it on the xda developers forum.

You could try the Cyanogen mod if it is software related, and see if it is any better.
Old 16th August 2011, 05:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

the S can be voodoo'd to improve SQ...CDA developers site will show you how.
Old 14th September 2011, 11:11 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I upgraded to Gingerbread and the frame skipping problem has been solved. However the EQ is still unusable.

The phone sounds very good on am amplifier... the problem is of course when driving a low impedance load such as the headphones. Thats is why an EQ would be nice to have.
Old 14th September 2011, 11:45 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Have you tried PowerAmp music player? I use it with my Droid X and find it to be nearly perfect. Sound is as good as you can expect from a portable consumer device, let alone a phone.

Hide this!Advertise here!