Android based mobile phones as portable music player.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone. My old portable music player broke so i tried the music player on my Samsung Galaxy S. The audio specs of the phone are quite good : Samsung I9000 Galaxy S review: From outer space - GSMArena.com

However, i simply cannot use this phone as a music player.
The sound is awful. There is no dynamic range and the overall sound is very harsh, without details in the treble. The EQ cannot be used because it is a software EQ and it clips the DAC.

Another problem are the pops ( resembling the vinyl pops ) during playback. I imagine the audio decoding process doesnt have enough priority and some frames are skipped.

Are there any other people here sharing the same problem ?

Can anybody recommend a better player app?

Crappy software

I had the same problem with my Galaxy S about a year ago. I don't know if it has been solved by the community by now. But the problem is software related. The phone applies an equalizer whenever it detects a specific impedance in the headphone jack. Try connecting your phone to an amplifier and see if the problem persists.

There where some people working on this problem back then, but i sold my phone before any solution came to be. It might possible now, i read about it on the xda developers forum.

You could try the Cyanogen mod if it is software related, and see if it is any better.

I upgraded to Gingerbread and the frame skipping problem has been solved. However the EQ is still unusable.

The phone sounds very good on am amplifier... the problem is of course when driving a low impedance load such as the headphones. Thats is why an EQ would be nice to have.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.