Dead 8000CD - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th July 2011, 11:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dead 8000CD

Hi, I'm new here so apologies now if this is in wrong place etc but I'm panicking. I can't live without my Audiolab 8000CD (pre TAG) but it is dead! (Won't break into the parrot sketch - but you get the picture!) I'm awaiting a reply from Kevin at Audio Cellar who I know is the guru on these things, but in the meantime any pointers would be appreciated. Basically switched it on and nothing.
Old 27th July 2011, 12:38 PM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

If it's dead dead that shouldn't be too hard to locate.

Assuming it uses a linear PSU (mains transformer type rather than switchmode) then first stop is to check whether there is any resistance between live and neutral (with it UNPLUGGED). Should read quite low ohms. If nothing then there is an open circuit somewhere... fuse or possibly thermal fuse embedded in the transformer itself. These are not normally replaceable.

If thats OK then it's a case of checking the voltage rails on the secondary side of the transformer.

Many items suffer from failed electroylitic capacitors which can cause fuses/circuit protectors/safety resistors to fail. That's a quick easy fix. Any of the larger capacitors showing signs of splitting at the top or of having bulges or running hot ?

Maybe post a close up picture of the power supply
Old 27th July 2011, 01:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi mooly - thanks v much for prompt reply. I make no apologies for being thick (I have to say it too often!) but could you advise how I do the resistance test (I do have a multimeter for my hobby Mini but only use it for testing 12v supply) I will post pic a little later
Old 27th July 2011, 03:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Put your meter on a low ohms range (say 0 to 200 ohms). If you now short the test leads together the meter should show essentially 0.00 (or very near) meaning a dead short... no resistance other than that of the leads.

So you now measure across the mains lead of the CD player. One lead on live and one on neutral. If there is a mechanical power switch on the player make sure it is on. The meter should show the resistance of the transformer primary which will be low. If it does then that is OK and we move on to test the other things.
Old 27th July 2011, 05:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Mooly - thanks for that, I have put the probes on the two leads where they are soldered to the 'on' switch as I can't see anywhere else 'exposed'. There is a 0 reading
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-07-27 17.00.18.jpg (339.0 KB, 64 views)
Old 27th July 2011, 05:48 PM   #6
nad is offline nad  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minipete View Post
Hi, I'm new here so apologies now if this is in wrong place etc but I'm panicking. I can't live without my Audiolab 8000CD (pre TAG) but it is dead! (Won't break into the parrot sketch - but you get the picture!) I'm awaiting a reply from Kevin at Audio Cellar who I know is the guru on these things, but in the meantime any pointers would be appreciated. Basically switched it on and nothing.
Hi minipete,

it may sound a silly question but have you tried checking the fuse on the rear panel just above the AC Socket? also the 4 internal fuses? If I remember correctly the 800cd used 2 PSU's, 1 for the fascia/cd drawer etc etc and 1 for the digital/analogue section. If something had failed internally I would expect either the display to be 'off' or no audio, not both.

Maybe worth a look?

Ant
Old 27th July 2011, 05:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

That sounds OK. It should read the same between the pins on the mains plug too. Check that as I can't be sure without actually seeing the unit that the "mains switch" actually works on the primary side of the transformer.

Anyway, the next thing is to plug in and switch on and with your meter on AC VOLTS (say 200 volt range) connect the leads between those orange and red wires. You should get a reading probably around 12 to 20 volts. If so then the front end of the power supply is OK and it gets a bit more difficult. Would have to see detailed pics of board (both sides). If you can come up with a service manual or circuit diagram it will much easier...
Old 27th July 2011, 05:51 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Oops, I missed the "pre tag" bit, 1 toroid in that one.
Old 27th July 2011, 06:15 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks both - not a silly question Ant as I wanted to know where these fuses were anyway as I can't see them. Now I do - although not at first obvious (need to start wearing my 'readers' more - no fun passing 40!) and I think the attached pic speaks for itself. Apologies for wasting everyone's time amd thanks Mooly, although I was already out of my depth finding the fuses so I'm relieved it hasn't gone any further - however:

Why has this blown?

Where do I get a replacment?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-07-27 18.04.24.jpg (241.6 KB, 54 views)
Old 27th July 2011, 08:15 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Not a problem minipete,

Good of Mooly to help, although I'd have thought he would have said check the fuses first too.

Anyway, are the fuses 20mm x 5mm? also, what rating are they (should be printed around the top band) I'm guessing 250mA?

Maybe just a surge caused the 'blow', is the cd player connected to a mains extension with lots of other equipment? Try another fuse and if it doesn't blow it's fine, if it does, you have a problem inside the unit. It won't hurt to try.

Last but not least, "where to get one from?" where are you situated (UK?), I may be able to point you in the right direction.

Ant

Hide this!Advertise here!