Rotel RCD 971 Readout panel doesn't work

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just finished replacing the little belt that allows the drawer to function normally. This involved taking off the front part of the unit--the black outside part and the gray-framed part underneath, which has the display to the right. The player works fine with the new belt, but the display with the track info etc. is intermittent, but mostly off.

Any thoughts as to what I disconnected? Nothing is obvious to me.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Has to be something you have done...
Is it a VFD display (Vacuum Tube Flourescent). Make sure there are no dry joints on the display end pins (the heaters).

If it's intermitent try gently moving/prodding/waggling leads and boards to locate.

The display is a solid state readout. I forget what you call it. Pretty standard. I've done a little probing. The problem is either the long cable that goes to the triple connector on left side of the display board or the display board itself. I've gotten the display to appear by moving that cable, but lately I can't do that. I assume I have to buy a new cable or board but am not sure which or which cable of the three. Nor is the guy I asked at Rotel. Also these cables seem to be soldered onto their connections. I'm not sure as to the best way to work with them. (I usually work just with tube equipement.)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If you need to desolder anything then solder braid is the most effective... but if you have never used it then practice first on something.

tbh, all that sounds a bit drastic and I'm sure careful fault finding would reveal the exact problem.

Have you found what the problem was? I have a similar problem with my rcd-975. The display panel does not work at all, and push buttons do nothing. So my player is now absolutely useless. And this, too, started after replacing the tray gear.
There is a single connector (8 pins if I remember correctly) going to the display board, and all pins get some voltage (except 1 that is 0v, the ground). I don't really know where to start to isolate the problem.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It would help to see a circuit of this... although it does sound like a "man made" problem tbh like in the original post.

Have you checked (with player OFF) the continuity of all those pins in the connector that was unplugged ? Don't disturb the plug... try and read from the PCB's or components on each side to see if there is continuity.

Can you post of picture of the plug/connector etc. Is it a foil/flexiprint or "Philips" type hard solid core wire ?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The RCD971 is totally different to the RCD975.

Edit... I see FFL isn't the one who asked the new question, which is about a different player to the original thread...

Should have its own new thread really :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.