How difficult and expensive is to make PCB for your DAC? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th August 2003, 07:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question How difficult and expensive is to make PCB for your DAC?

From several years my practice here is to make PCB for every of my significant projects, including good Amps, DACs /any/ and other stuffs, like control and RF. Here the PCB's are relatively cheap to make in small quantities /1...5/ and I usually hate the "Evroboard" designs /except for the supply Caps in my amp, where the 1.5sqmm wires are defenitely much more than a wide soldered trace/.
In your country, do they /PCB manifacturers/ make small quantities of PCBs??
Is someone interested in making some "universal" DAC boards /supporting more than one type of DR, SRC , DAC, Analog, Supply and Clocks/???
Thanks a lot!
Old 24th August 2003, 08:52 AM   #2
jevta is offline jevta  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: How difficult and expensive is to make PCB for your DAC?

Quote:
Originally posted by machinow
From several years my practice here is to make PCB for every of my significant projects, including good Amps, DACs /any/ and other stuffs, like control and RF. Here the PCB's are relatively cheap to make in small quantities /1...5/ and I usually hate the "Evroboard" designs /except for the supply Caps in my amp, where the 1.5sqmm wires are defenitely much more than a wide soldered trace/.
In your country, do they /PCB manifacturers/ make small quantities of PCBs??
Is someone interested in making some "universal" DAC boards /supporting more than one type of DR, SRC , DAC, Analog, Supply and Clocks/???
Thanks a lot!
For my knowledge in your country momentaly are slow price for boards in region and generaly better work condition from my country. Profesional company make in little serie too. Audio have another problem with request customers and now usually make little serie to 10 pcs.

Please don`t loose wish
Old 24th August 2003, 09:25 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Are you proposing to manufacture prototyping boards? I am sure there will be a lot of interest. Do you already have a design in mind?
Old 29th October 2003, 05:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by analog_sa

Are you proposing to manufacture prototyping boards? I am sure there will be a lot of interest. Do you already have a design in mind?
Yes, some kind of semi-universal prototyping boards - say AD 1955 board, PCM 1792 board, universal "mother board", PSU boards, etc.
Some /but a very few
/ people here will also be interested.

Sorry for this late answer!!!
Regards
Old 29th October 2003, 09:46 AM   #5
MWP is offline MWP  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: How difficult and expensive is to make PCB for your DAC?

Quote:
Originally posted by machinow
Thanks a lot!
You would probably find that not too many people would be interested in them.
It would be very hard to design a board that support multiple DACs, etc that also has short tracks, enough room for different component sizes, etc.

You would be better off learning how to make your own PCBs.
I make my own double sided boards with no special equiptment for a very minimal cost... the only problem is it takes time (about 2 hrs for a decent sized board).
Old 29th October 2003, 01:42 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

you might want to consider purchasing a demonstator board. Crystal and BB have them available, various distributors carry them. Jumpers/ dip switches set modes, etc. Seems like it will cost about the same as buying all the parts without the hassle of making a board and soldering smd components. I'll probably go that route when I get to DAC projects.

BB data sheet for the PCM 1704 board includes board patterns if you want to try making your own.
Old 29th October 2003, 09:25 PM   #7
vit is offline vit  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to vit Send a message via AIM to vit Send a message via MSN to vit
Machinow,
You lucky cheese, living in a country that make cheap PCB's.

What about:

PCB PROTO PANEL SSS - $21,00 USD
SINGLE SIDE EURO FORMAT PCB 160 mm x 100 mm (6.3" x 3.9")

PCB PROTO PANEL DSQ - $104,00 USD
DOUBLE SIDE PCB PANEL 320 mm x 200 mm (12.6" x 7.8")

Cheap PCB's
Old 30th October 2003, 08:17 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Great!
Thank you all!
My first idea was to experiment w. different circuits on the same board, mainly different I/V converters for DACs, and various supplies too.
Regards

Hide this!Advertise here!