diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Digital Source (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/)
-   -   Micromega Solo CD Player - help!! (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/191732-micromega-solo-cd-player-help.html)

memu51 29th June 2011 11:40 AM

Micromega Solo CD Player - help!!

I have a Micromega Solo CD player which is not working. When turned on, it will start to rotate counter clockwise at first hesitantly and then faster. It happens with the lid open or closed ( a top loader) and also with a CD in place

I noted there is some slight vertical movement in the lens when it is turned on - but I cannot see the normal red glow on the laser when viewed from the side. Sometimes the laser assembly swings back and forth with CD in place.

I have noticed there is about 2-3 mm of vertical play in the spindle

It has a CDM4/25 transport fitted - I have tried cleaning the lens and checking all of the contacts. The 33uf cap on the servo board has been replaced - still it runs backwards!

I would greatly appreciate and advice and suggestions for sorting it out!

Regards Dave

guido 29th June 2011 04:56 PM

spinning backwards happens if the 7210/7310 doesn't get a clock signal (i assume philips chipset because of transport). Maybe the 7220 doesn't work anymore (it generates the clock usually).

Start with checking the powersupplies on the chips. Then you need a scope to verify the clock towards the 7210, the eyepattern, output of 7210 towards the transport etc.

memu51 29th June 2011 06:53 PM

Micromega Solo

1 Attachment(s)
Hi
Thank you for taking the time to reply!

I cannot identify the 7210/73107220 you mentioned - please see the pic of the attached board. Sadly I do not have access to a scope! Looks like a small cap has been added - do you agree - or do you think its original?

Dave

Mooly 30th June 2011 06:36 AM

The cap will be original... typical Philips afterthought/mod

Do as Guido suggests and check ALL supplies. If you haven't a manual then identify PSU connections on ALL the IC's from the IC data sheets and check.

memu51 30th June 2011 10:54 AM

Thanks for that - bit odd really as no one seems to have a circuit diagram for the Solo ( unless someone can prove me wrong???)

Also the list of mechs/dacs for CD players do not mention the CDM4/25 for the Solo

Regards

David

ramallo 30th June 2011 12:03 PM

The mechanism is the CDM4/25 (Very hard to find) and all of the control is Philips original (No Micromega's mods).

Is very strange the spin with the lid open, the player have a switch on the right rear side for disconnect the mechanism when the lid is open.

danico 30th June 2011 04:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by memu51 (Post 2623637)
Hi

I cannot identify the 7210/73107220 you mentioned - please see the pic of the attached board. Sadly I do not have access to a scope! Looks like a small cap has been added - do you agree - or do you think its original?

Dave

look close to the dac chip, 7220 and 7310 will be there.

I know when 7220 not working then the player just spining fast.
I dont know if it related with your problem though.
This is a Marantz cd40 just to show were you find the chips.
The 7310 is at th bottom.

guido 30th June 2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memu51 (Post 2623637)
Hi

Dave

They should be on the main board, not the one from the transport. If the powersupplies check out, it will be hard to fix it without a scope.

memu51 30th June 2011 06:44 PM

Thank you for your help - I will have a closer look to identify them. I will have another search to see if I can find a circuit diagram!

Regards

Dave

memu51 1st July 2011 06:38 PM

Micromega Solo Schematic

1 Attachment(s)
I have tried to find a schematic of the Micromega Solo and have not been able to locate one which make sorting it more difficult.

I would appreciate it if someone has one or who knows where one might be located!

I have attached a pic of the main board - has anyone seen one before? the chips do not seem to ties up with those mentioned

David