Micromega Solo CD Player - help!! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st July 2011, 11:32 PM   #11
guido is offline guido  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi,

The large chip in the bottom is the decoder microprocessor. That's there.
There is no dig filter / dac; seems to be a transport only.

There is a memory chip on the left; MN4264. Usually used by a decoder.
So i'm guessing that the SAA7310 SMD chip is on the underside of the pcb.
The clock seems to be generated with the 04 in the middle.

The spdif out is made by the PCF3523.

There are more gizzmos visible, optocouplers and quite some powersupplies. Not easy to fix giving directions from here.
You need to find someone local who can figure this out. Should not be too difficult with the thing on the bench.

Guido

Last edited by guido; 1st July 2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 2nd July 2011, 07:37 AM   #12
amc184 is offline amc184  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Looking at the mainboard I would say this is a full CD player, not just a transport. I can see what looks to be a very simple output stage and a pair of PCB mount RCA plugs at the back. If you flip the board over I think you'll find an SAA7310 decoder IC and probably an SAA7321 digital filter and DAC IC. I'd guess at this DAC based on the simplicity of the output stage (the SAA7321 has onboard I/V and buffer stages, no external opamps needed) and because Micromega used this DAC in other contemporary players.

I'd agree with Guido about the problem, though I'd be less specific. Loss of motor control is usually due to a fault in the decoder block. I've seen this problem caused by a loss of clock, a failed decoder IC and a failed motor driver. I'd start by looking closely at all three of these things, but unless you're experienced at troubleshooting these types of devices that's going to be very difficult.

What level of experience do you have, and what tools are available to you?
Old 2nd July 2011, 08:17 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave,

I have a Solo (somewhere) and for the purpose of your repair it is standard Philips. I'm fairly sure there are 7310 and 7321 located under the main pcb.

Mine has a small blue potted transformer mounted at the front of the pcb which powers the analog section.

Forget about a schematic from Micromega.

sp
Old 6th July 2011, 10:56 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thanks to you all for the advice you have given - there are 7310 7321 on the underside of the motherboard !

Sadly I do not have the equipment, knowledge or eyesight! to identify and rectify the problem.

As I would like to get it repaired can anyone recommend someone in the UK ( preferably South West ) who can help with this.

I called in at a local repairer who advised it was not worth repairing and they would need a schematic - and no doubt charge a small fortune for looking at it.

Obviously I have no problem in paying someone competent to sort it

Thanks again for your help

David
Old 6th July 2011, 11:11 AM   #15
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Its certainly worth repairing...

Has this player worked in the past ? What I am trying to say is, "is this a natural failure" ? or did you obtain the player already in a faulty state ? in which case the history is unknown as to what may have happened.
Old 6th July 2011, 11:38 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi

That was quick!

I bought it as requiring repair as I have had a Micromega in the past and know how good they sound!. As you have gathered I have looked inside to check it was nothing obvious and connections etc but not attempted any adjustments.

If I cannot get it going at least it is at least aesthetically pleasing to the eye!

I am amazed that no one has a schematic for this model - I dont think I have ever come across a situation where you cannot get any information on a CD player- I am not even sure what DAC and mech it should have in it!!

Thank you for your reply

David
Old 6th July 2011, 11:46 AM   #17
diyAudio Moderator

Hi David,
I actually have a MM Stage 2 and I know how good they sound too although I have (after 17 years with the Stage) just got a Marantz Pearl Lite. Service info for MM's is 99.99% impossible to obtain.

The trouble, is that you don't know if the fault is man made or not if the machine has a bit of history so to speak.

Have you actually measured all the supplies in the player as faults like this typically (hopefully) are usually something fairly basic.

From detailed pictures its possible to mark at least some things to check although it is clutching at straws a bit... but you never know.
Old 6th July 2011, 02:04 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hi

I am not too sure what voltages to expect where !

Some of the joints look a little oxidised - I took the attached pic when I discovered the chips under the board!

Could the problem be caused by the failure of one of the transformers??

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030560a.jpg (361.8 KB, 114 views)
Old 6th July 2011, 05:26 PM   #19
diyAudio Moderator

I'll post you some things to check in a while...
Old 6th July 2011, 05:30 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

David,

You probably won't find a schematic, Micromega were never forthcoming with that sort of information.

Jon

Hide this!Advertise here!