Please help fixing Pioneer PDR-555RW

After an extensive cleaning for ALL three of the boards, and poking holes through per CAT6a's instructions above, the recorder is now finally showing signs of some life again. It is now working BUT the tray still cycles in and out most of the time. I had to manually open/close the tray. Once closed, it does two things; it either scans the disc type to get ready for play, or it does nothing (shows 00 00:00) until I press 'play' and it starts scanning then play.

Cleaning the power board. All others removed awaiting for cleaning.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Couple of scrapings here...
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Recognizes and plays CD-RW discs.

Playing a commercial-pressed CD

Playing commercial-pressed CD. Pictured with CD-RW, Contact Cleaner, and earbud.

This is better than nothing but I might redo it again (for the 5th time now I think) if I can get fix the 'tray cycling issue.

Thanks for all the help guys, and of course to stephensank!

I took it apart again this morning to work on the through-holes; using a very thin needle with an led flashlight flashing from behind I can see the light coming through after they are poked. I've pretty pinned through the whole board from both sides and left everything un-soldered. After this I spray some Super Contact Cleaner across the board and wiped evenly.

The result:
Initially I thought I messed up big time because it performed worst than before. It was having a hard time recognizing commercial-pressed disk and only plays CD-Rs. After playing with it for a while it started to recognize commercial CDs and the tray does not cycle as much. When CDs are loaded, they are recognized right away. I'd still get an occasional tray cycle but not as much now.

Cleaning up the holes from the bottom

Cleaning the holes from the top side. The lights coming through helps identifying each hole and makes the job much easier.

Okay, the fix was (again) short-lived. The deck has gone back to its erratic behavior in less than 24 hours! Everything was working fine -- from recognizing and playing all CDs with a few intermittent tray-cycling. Now, the unit powers on fine but once the tray is opened, it closes/opens/closes until 'check' flashing on the display, however, it can still play some unfinalize and finalized CD-R for the meantime -- and I know this too would be short-lived.
I will try one more thing next week and see if it'll improve, or even fix. Will report back the results. Stay tuned.

Fixed for good!!!
I went out to Radio Shack and picked up a 15W Soldering Pen (designed for Circuit Boards) and soldered about 6-8 through-holes as stephensank and afecu suggested. It took me about two hours -- and it wasn't easy! Now it Plays ALL CDs, records to both CD-R and RW discs. Also, the tray stopped going berserk, basically it is a fully functional PDR-555RW like right out-of-the-box. I also bought a Panasonic supercap identical to the Elna (5.5v 1F) for like $3.50, I might or might not put it in. Since everything is back to normal I'm just gonna leave it alone for now.

Cheers guys, and thanks!

thanks as well for the info

thought i'd have a quick Google and see if anyone had found the problem yet
i have 2 or 3 to fix
have bought 5 in the past, 2 are in bits, one still works i think?
one faulty one is used for the DA for PC and Arcam Cd, which both sound far better through the PDR555
also have a 609 that still works, but does n't sound anywhere nr as nice as the 555

so have some work to do
good job i did nt take the others to the tip
thanks again,

pdr-609

Hi guys,

Thanks to all who have posted such useful advice on the Pioneer CD recorders. I have a PDR-609 (which seems to be one of the poorer quality models from what I've read here). It has been experiencing the usual symptoms of the tray arbitrarily opening and closing and now the dreaded 'Check Disc' message is occuring during recording.

I read that some models have a faulty elna cap but that this model doesn't have one - is that right? If not, is there any way of fixing the 609s?

Thanks for any help.

You're correct that the 609 does not have the sort of Elna memory back up cap that caused the other models so much damage. It does have a large surface mount type cap on the board under the mech that serves the same purpose though. I haven't seen these leak yet, but your symptoms certainly suggest that it's possible, and would be the first thing to check for.

Been too long since I've had a 609 in the shop to recall specifics, but it should be the largest cap on the "cdr core" board, which could be confirmed by then checking the schem reference number with the cap's functional position in the schematic. You can download the manual from hifi-manuals.com if you don't have it. Removing permanently should have no effect on performance.

all hail to stephensank!

I came across this thread while searching for details about the PDR-555RW. Then I read about the leaking capacitors.
As I own two PDR-04 (they work flawless up to date) I immediately opened both to check these capacitors (C361 for the PDR-04 by the way)
BOTH show traces of leakage :eek:
Fortunately the boards were still not affected.
I trusted post #14 and cut them off with a nail scissors.
Both record and play as always!
Thanks from Germany to stephensank!

The PDR-04/05/99 models do, indeed, also have the terrible Elna memory cap, and likewise the HHB CDR800 & Fostex CR200 pro versions of the 05, but it is fortunately a smaller capacity, and doesn't tend to leak as badly. But it does, however, ALWAYS cause board damage eventually. You have been fortunate to catch yours in time. The only stable platter recorder NOT affected, as it uses a lithium button cell, is the extremely rare, incredibly beautifully built PDR-09, which I consider the best cd recorder ever made.

Wow! I can't believe that these Elna caps started leaking by 2003, and that Pioneer STILL used the same damn caps into the next generation of recorders. That's pretty inexcusable. Why they've got the apologetic nonsense about "board manufacturing process" causing short life, I don't know. Very obvious, in the extreme, that the problem is Elna's cap manufacturing process.

HHB CDR 850 (PDR - 555RW)

I'll backup the previously posted repair method for transport open/close and "disk error" problems. The problem IS the through holes in the area of the 1mfd backup cap.

Clean the area with alcohol on both sides. Use a needle to poke through the link holes then scrape the hole pads on both sides with a small sharp jewelers screw driver and then use 0.030 wire (typical wire wrap) to strap through the holes ...and of course solder both sides.

You will need a magnifier with a light. I use the kind that has the arms and fluorescent round light. If you are going to do this kind of work then get one, you won't be sorry.

Additionally use Caig D5 cleaner to protect the area and while your at it clean all the connectors, jacks, plugs and front panel controls.

...and yes ...the HHB CDR 850 and Pioneer PDR 555RW is the same unit.