Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2013, 10:13 AM   #101
80sguy is offline 80sguy  United States
diyAudio Member

After an extensive cleaning for ALL three of the boards, and poking holes through per CAT6a's instructions above, the recorder is now finally showing signs of some life again. It is now working BUT the tray still cycles in and out most of the time. I had to manually open/close the tray. Once closed, it does two things; it either scans the disc type to get ready for play, or it does nothing (shows 00 00:00) until I press 'play' and it starts scanning then play.

Cleaning the power board. All others removed awaiting for cleaning.
Click the image to open in full size.

Couple of scrapings here...

Recognizes and plays CD-RW discs.

Playing a commercial-pressed CD

Playing commercial-pressed CD. Pictured with CD-RW, Contact Cleaner, and earbud.

This is better than nothing but I might redo it again (for the 5th time now I think) if I can get fix the 'tray cycling issue.

Thanks for all the help guys, and of course to stephensank!
Old 31st January 2013, 05:06 AM   #102
diyAudio Member

I took it apart again this morning to work on the through-holes; using a very thin needle with an led flashlight flashing from behind I can see the light coming through after they are poked. I've pretty pinned through the whole board from both sides and left everything un-soldered. After this I spray some Super Contact Cleaner across the board and wiped evenly.

The result:
Initially I thought I messed up big time because it performed worst than before. It was having a hard time recognizing commercial-pressed disk and only plays CD-Rs. After playing with it for a while it started to recognize commercial CDs and the tray does not cycle as much. When CDs are loaded, they are recognized right away. I'd still get an occasional tray cycle but not as much now.

Cleaning up the holes from the bottom

Cleaning the holes from the top side. The lights coming through helps identifying each hole and makes the job much easier.
Old 31st January 2013, 11:39 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

Okay, the fix was (again) short-lived. The deck has gone back to its erratic behavior in less than 24 hours! Everything was working fine -- from recognizing and playing all CDs with a few intermittent tray-cycling. Now, the unit powers on fine but once the tray is opened, it closes/opens/closes until 'check' flashing on the display, however, it can still play some unfinalize and finalized CD-R for the meantime -- and I know this too would be short-lived.
I will try one more thing next week and see if it'll improve, or even fix. Will report back the results. Stay tuned.
Old 1st February 2013, 01:47 AM   #104
afecu is offline afecu  United States
diyAudio Member

80sguy, are you soldering wires into those through-holes that had corrosion? Cleaning them is necessary but not sufficient, because if the plating is damaged in a hole, the connection between the back and front isn't reliable even after cleaning.
Old 1st February 2013, 05:24 AM   #105
diyAudio Member

No I haven't solder them. I'm having a hard time getting the soldering to stick to the board.
Old 8th February 2013, 12:27 AM   #106
diyAudio Member

Fixed for good!!!
I went out to Radio Shack and picked up a 15W Soldering Pen (designed for Circuit Boards) and soldered about 6-8 through-holes as stephensank and afecu suggested. It took me about two hours -- and it wasn't easy! Now it Plays ALL CDs, records to both CD-R and RW discs. Also, the tray stopped going berserk, basically it is a fully functional PDR-555RW like right out-of-the-box. I also bought a Panasonic supercap identical to the Elna (5.5v 1F) for like $3.50, I might or might not put it in. Since everything is back to normal I'm just gonna leave it alone for now.

Cheers guys, and thanks!
Old 6th July 2013, 03:42 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

kind of starting over this thread. my 555 went to audio nirvana some time ago. have just now got a 509, works well, just wondering if there are any known issues that could be addressed before they might make a 509 or 609 a boat anchor?
TIA
Old 6th July 2013, 10:09 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

The PDR-509 uses a different sort of memory cap, not yet seen to cause trouble, so generally quite reliable. The 609 is just not a good unit, period. The 509 was the last good cd recorder, maybe from anyone.
Old 7th July 2013, 06:46 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info.
Old 21st September 2013, 04:06 AM   #110
WR1 is offline WR1
diyAudio Member

thanks as well for the info

thought i'd have a quick Google and see if anyone had found the problem yet
i have 2 or 3 to fix
have bought 5 in the past, 2 are in bits, one still works i think?
one faulty one is used for the DA for PC and Arcam Cd, which both sound far better through the PDR555
also have a 609 that still works, but does n't sound anywhere nr as nice as the 555

so have some work to do
good job i did nt take the others to the tip
thanks again,

Hide this!Advertise here!