Behringer Xenyx 2442fx - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2011, 01:49 AM   #1
Cr@sh is offline Cr@sh  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Behringer Xenyx 2442fx

Hello, I have a 16channel mixer/filter for our church that seems to have suffered some kind of input failure. 4 of the 16 channels 9/10-11/12-13/14-15/16 are stuck in "Clip" as if they are all four being clipped by an input device. Currently I have it taken apart to look at any obvious failures such as burned parts and I have checked most of the OP's (V4580M) and as far as I can tell there fine, but there is like fifty of them on the board and I haven't checked them all.

When I first turn it on it's fine but after about five minutes all four channels go into clipping. Can anyone help point me in the right direction on where to start looking for problems? Thanks
Old 20th June 2011, 02:12 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Update: I just now noticed that when I move the volume for each of the four channels up the clip light grows dim until I reach the top then it goes to full red again. Also when I press the "Solo" button the clip light goes out completely and stays out.
Old 20th June 2011, 03:23 PM   #3
fredy2 is offline fredy2  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is a schematic... this is a 1204, yours just has more channels... duplicates:

BEHRINGER XENYX 1204FX Service Manual free download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics

The circuits of interest are on sht 3. The "volume" you refere to is the "fader". I would suspect that the amp following the fader is loading down the clip detector is why the dimming occurs. This should be easy to find the problem. I would suspect power supply to the op amps and the electrolytic coupling caps. These units are ESPECIALLY vulnerable to spilled liquids and I have seen power rails etched and burned through.
At the site, find the link "get manual" and click on it to download. The site is in Hungary and is the only real source of Behringer dwgs I have found.
Old 20th June 2011, 04:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

That makes sense! The small mixer we have in its place is over heating, my first thought was amp is somehow back feeding into the mixer. Thanks for your help fredy, this should get me in the right direction and fixed!
Old 20th June 2011, 04:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Remember this CARDINAL RULE. ALWAYS power ALL interconnected equipment from the same receptacle or power conditioner, even if it means running an extension cord from the amps back to the mixer. Ground bounce in building wiring fries many a piece of audio equipment.
Old 20th June 2011, 04:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredy2 View Post
Remember this CARDINAL RULE. ALWAYS power ALL interconnected equipment from the same receptacle or power conditioner, even if it means running an extension cord from the amps back to the mixer. Ground bounce in building wiring fries many a piece of audio equipment.
Thanks I'll check that out, i'm sure not all of amps, computer and other items are powered from the same place. I'll also check all the outputs (Which would be inputs to the amps) and see if there is voltage or current present (coming from the amps) as there shouldn't be.
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

From Post #3, I searched further and it seems the 2442FX is also on that website;

Service manual, eprom result list | ElektroTanya | Service manuals and repair tips for electronics experts

Full circuit diagrams.

Excellent website, well worth bookmarking.

Sandy
Old 22nd June 2011, 02:36 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks Sandy
Old 22nd June 2011, 05:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=mnemneth;2615182]From Post #3, I searched further and it seems the 2442FX is also on that website;

Service manual, eprom result list | ElektroTanya | Service manuals and repair tips for electronics experts

Full circuit diagrams.

Excellent website, well worth bookmarking. end quote

Yes Sandy, the Xenyx version MIGHT be slightly different than the raw 2442FX version but it is worth comparing. I found this site over a year ago and I periodically send them a $10 contribution which is about 2000 of their currency in Hungary... I have downloaded hundreds of schematics from them.

Hide this!Advertise here!